Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Wanted Pet Milk Fudge Recipe from mid-1920's >

Wanted Pet Milk Fudge Recipe from mid-1920's

Wanted Pet Milk Fudge Recipe from mid-1920's

Old 12-11-2011, 11:03 AM

All of these recipes remind me of the fudge we made on the farm with fresh sweet cream. Yum! Thanks everyone.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:34 AM

I just made this recipe and it's very old but very easy. Not sure if its the one your looking for, but it is fantastic.

1 12 oz.pkg of Nestle's semi sweet choc. bits.
1 can of condensed milk (not evaporated)
2 squares of baking chocolate
1 cup of walnuts (chopped but left in big pieces)
1 tsp. vanilla
Melt everything together. Mix well.
Pour into a 8 or 9" square pan lined with WAX paper. Chill.
When ready, peel off wax paper and cut into squares.

Good Luck and I hope this could be the one.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:16 PM

The following are very old recipes from the 1920's.

Chocolate Fudge
Two cups white granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon butter, 1 cup cream, 1/4 cake unsweetened chocolate. Put in the sugar and cream, and when this becomes hot put in the chocolate, broken up into fine pieces. Stir vigorously and constantly. Put in butter when it begins to boil. Stir until it creams when beaten on a saucer or forms soft ball in cold water. Then remove and beat until quite cool and pour into buttered tins. Chopped walnuts, almonds or pecans can be added before stirring.

Divinity
Two and one half cups of sugar, 1/2 cup corn syrup, 1/2 cup water. cook until it will spin a thread and then pour one-half it into the whites of 2 eggs beaten stiff. Cook the other half until it will harden in water, then pour it into the other half. Beat until creamy, then pour into a buttered dish or drop from spoon.

Nut Caramel fudge
Three cups light brown sugar, 1 tablespoon butter, 1 cup milk, 1 or 1 1/2 cups nuts; flavor with vanilla. Cook sugr, butter and milk until it will thread. Take from fire, add flavoring, nuts, and beat as you would fudge. Pour into buttered pan, cool and cut.

Chocolate Creams
Beat the whites of 2 eggs to a stiff froth. Gradually beat into this 2 cups of confectioner's sugar. If the eggs be large, it may take a little more sugar. Flavor with 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and work well. Now roll into little balls, and drop on a slightly buttered platter. Let the balls stand for an hour or more. Shave five ounces of unsweetened chocolate and put into a small bowl, which place on the fire in a saucepan containing boiling water. When the chocolate is melted, take the saucepan to the table, and drop the creams into the chocolate one at a time, taking them out with a fork and dropping them gently on the buttered dish. It will take half an hour or more to harden the chocolate.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:48 PM

[QUOTE=Thumbilena;4769147]I just put on 10000 calories reading all of that. Yummmmmm good[/QUOTE

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-11-2011, 05:04 PM

This recipe sounds like the one that used to be on the Hershey's Cocoa can.. It was the best fudge.... Not sure about the blonde fudge
Old 11-24-2017, 02:36 PM

Here's the pdf and a jpg of the actual recipe.
Attached Thumbnails fudge.jpg  
Old 11-29-2017, 02:33 AM

Do you mean Sweetened Condensed Pet milk or Evaporated Pet milk in the recipe?
Old 12-05-2017, 12:40 PM

Chocolate Fudge

2 Squares unsweetened chocolate
2 C. sugar
1/4 t. salt
2 T. white corn syrup
1 C. Pet milk
1 t. vanilla
3/4 C. nuts

Melt chocolate over hot water in pan in which candy is to be cooked. Add sugar, salt and corn syrup and mix well. Add milk and blend well. Cook rapidly until sugar is dissolved, stirring constantly. Reduce flame and cook slowly to 236 degrees or until mixture forms a soft ball when dropped into water. Cool without stirring until the hand can be held comfortably on the bottom of the pan. Add vanilla. Beat vigorously until thick and creamy. Add nuts if desired and put into greased pan. Cut into squares when thoroughly cool.

For Marshmallow Fudge: Increase chocolate to 3 squares. Cook, cool and heat as in Chocolate Fudge. When ready to put into greased pan, add 1 C. marshmallow, cut into bits, in place of nuts.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:02 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ilovequilts34 View Post
Do you mean Sweetened Condensed Pet milk or Evaporated Pet milk in the recipe?
It says nonfat dry milk, so that would be powered milk.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by cb1504 View Post
Here's the pdf and a jpg of the actual recipe.
OMG! As soon as I saw that image, I recognized it. My grandmother always used that recipe and had in her recipe box. I have a scar on my wrist where I got burned when I reached across while she was cooking the sugar mixture and a drop of it landed on me.

The fudge was usually so good, but it would sugar up on you if you weren't careful and follow it to the letter.

~ C