Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What to do with a bushel of hops?

What to do with a bushel of hops?

My husband makes his own beer, so a couple of years ago, I planted a couple of hops vines to trail up the porch railings. I had a bumper crop of hops flowers this year...at least a bushel full. I have way more than the DH needs for his beermaking. Does anyone have any ideas on how to use hops in food recipes?

(I know...this one's weird.)

~ C

The only use I know for them is making beer. Maybe your husband can share his bounty with other home brewers. You could try putting an ad in Craigslist for them. I bet there are a lot more home brewers in your area than you realize, it is very popular now.

mim
    I had some hops vines that I bought to trail over my gazebo. I swapped the clusters still on the vines with some pubs for decorations and got either beers or a gift certificate.

When I called a company that sold the plants they asked me what kind I wanted so I told then a couple. When I asked the price they told me "nothing" and it would be free shipping. I asked them how they usually sold the plants they told me "by the acre"

The flowers and the hops are tiny castinets and quite beautiful. In the UK it is a summer tradition for city families to camp out and pick hops in the fall. The smell of drying hops in the oast barnsis everywhere

This may help you find some recipes. The Hoppy Hot Chocolate on the 2nd link sounds good to me.

https://www.google.com/search?q=recipes+using+hops&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1-ab

https://www.sacbee.com/food-drink/re...le3197991.html

Last edited by osewme; 09-16-2018 at 02:13 PM.

Power Poster
    ​I wonder if you dried them if they would make nice stuffing for an animal bed?

If your DH makes his own beer, he probably has a few friends that would welcome such a treat. I think they can be frozen for future use too. My DS makes his own beer too and planted some hops in his back yard. They are like weeds--no need to replant
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.