Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
What to do with Garbanzo beans? >

What to do with Garbanzo beans?

What to do with Garbanzo beans?

Old 07-27-2020, 07:36 PM

Default What to do with Garbanzo beans?

I asked my DH to pick up a case of white beans at Costco. I meant Cannellini beans, but he bought a case of Garbanzo beans. I've never really used them before, and am not familiar with them. Any ideas?
Old 07-27-2020, 08:50 PM

I love to add them to green salads and of course 3 bean salad.
Old 07-27-2020, 10:51 PM

Make Hummus, I love it.
Old 07-28-2020, 01:10 AM

Garbanzo beans are also known as chickpeas. Do a search for chickpea recipes and you will find all kinds of ways to use them. I love them and eat them alone as a side dish. They are great in salads, added to curries, and are part of the legume family which is very good for us to eat.
I tried air frying them to make the crispy snack that the air fryer people all talk about. Epic fail.....never did get crispy, seasoning I used was too much, ended up trashing as they were too salty for the chickens. If you have an air fryer you may have better luck than I did.
Old 07-28-2020, 02:38 AM

I recently started making felafel patties - very delicious and a low calorie meat alternative. Eat them on a nice bun, in a pita, on top of salads. I bake them in the oven rather than frying.

I have also been making bowls - a starch (quinoa, couscous, etc.), a bean (garbanzo, black,etc.), vegetables (chopped tomatoes, cucumbers, cooked green beans, etc.), shredded cheese, a light dressing. Very nice in summer.
Old 07-28-2020, 03:09 AM

This may sound a little weird but, when I make a plate of nachos for myself and do not have meat or choose not to have meat, I will add about half a cup (or more) of garbanzo beans. Then continue with what ever nacho toppings are at hand. These little gems are low calorie, plant based protein addition to my nachos. (I also do the same with red kidney beans.) I happen to like them in salads. They are a lovely unexpected texture in lots of dishes. They have a neutral flavor that can be used in lots of soups and stews as we look toward eating those kinds of cold weather foods in our cold weather months.
Old 07-28-2020, 03:21 AM

I always keep a can or two in my cupboard...they are great in salads and I also have a wonderful Mediterranean chicken stew recipe that calls for chickpeas.
Old 07-28-2020, 04:45 AM
Power Poster

My daughter loves the chickpea salad I make. I slice red, yellow, orange peppers into bite size pieces...thinly slice a red onion cut in half....2 cans or drained chickpeas/garbanzo beans and then Italian dressing to coat everything. Refrigerate and enjoy!
Old 07-28-2020, 05:08 AM

There’s a restaurant here that makes a salad with garbanzo beans. I’ve recreated it at home and it’s really good. Using a food processor, grind together salami, cheese, and green pepper. For the cheese I used a marble cheese like monterey jack and cheddar. You serve the mixture on lettuce and garbanzo beans. It’s really good with french and blue cheese dressing.
Old 07-28-2020, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
My daughter loves the chickpea salad I make. I slice red, yellow, orange peppers into bite size pieces...thinly slice a red onion cut in half....2 cans or drained chickpeas/garbanzo beans and then Italian dressing to coat everything. Refrigerate and enjoy!
That sounds good! I make one with chickpeas, grape or cherry tomatos, diced onion, and avocado, in a vinaigrette or Italian dressing.