Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Whats your Company/Special Occasion Recipe?? >

Whats your Company/Special Occasion Recipe??

Whats your Company/Special Occasion Recipe??

Old 01-29-2009, 08:27 AM
Power Poster

I think everyone has that 1 special recipe that they reserve only for those special occasions or for company. Its the one that DH says he wants when I ask him what he would request as his last meal if he was on Death Row..(although he did take a few days to think on that matter :wink: )..So...what's yours???

Mine is Seafood Lasagne...Yummy....here is a link to it...it is WELL worth the cost and effort...but only for special occasions ..you know...

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Seafood-Lasagna
Old 01-29-2009, 03:12 PM

If I'm taking something to a picnic or dinner, I usually do a pasta salad with the Italian-type dressing (not "salad" dressing).
I don't get a lot of company, but I can throw together a pretty good pot of chili pretty fast. If it's warm weather, I take advantage of the grill. We usually keep hot dogs and hamburgers in the freezer and fresh buns on-hand.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:44 PM
Power Poster

Sounds good...when can I come???
Old 02-01-2009, 08:33 AM

I'm with you Miranda- at the beginning of summer I buy hot dogs (we don't eat them) and hamburgers. I load up on chicken tenders. The grill is our choice for summer. If I know in advance, the chicken gets thawed and marinated.

If I'm "making an effort" for company it's usually lasagna or crab bisque. The crab bisque is made for 24 servings which usually makes enough for 10 in our family. I only make it 2 or 3 times a year. It's from my 1942 cook book and I've changed it over the years to make it more of a chowder- adding frozen peas and potatoes.

Tonight is crab bisque and making a chicken wing dip for the game and little smokies wrapped in bacon and covered with brown sugar and baked. Have some homemade salsa and chips too. Topped off with Dr. Pepper, I'm in heaven.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:04 AM

Chicken Marsala--so very easy yet so tasty and good for you too.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:57 AM

My favorite thing to make for company -- RESERVATIONS! :roll: :roll:

OK -- so I don't like to cook. Would someone like to send me care packages of home cooked food in exchange for, uh, fabric????
Old 02-02-2009, 02:08 PM

Ragatoni. It's similar to lasagna but the filling is different.... Has cream cheese and broccoli in it. The sauce has mushroom soup also...
Old 02-02-2009, 02:41 PM

If it is summer time, we will grill ribs or chicken and I make my secret recipe spicy garlic lime marinated fresh shrimp on the grill, and I will make a pasta salad.

If it is not grilling weather I will make Salsa Pollo Con Frijoles. I got the recipe a million years ago, so good luck finding it on the web (and in English for that matter!)

I use 6 split chicken breasts, boneless and skinless, and pound them real flat with the mallet. Sprinkle with cumin, salt and pepper on both sides.

Spray 13x9 pan with Pam. Lay chicken breasts in pan.

In a bowl, mash one can of drained pinto beans with 1/2 cup salsa and 2 TBSP chopped fresh scallions and 1/2 tsp cumin. Put large TBSP of this mixture in center of each chicken breast and roll up. Secure with tooth pick and turn seam side down.

Pour salsa over all and bake uncovered at 325 for about 45 minutes. Top with shredded jack cheese and sprinkle with chopped fresh cilantro. I serve it with spanish rice and a salad.

This was the first recipe my son called me for after he moved out.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:43 PM

my favorite is to make waaaay too much food and spend the next week eating it and not cooking.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:13 AM
Power Poster

Yummy yummy! Thank you, those sound great!