Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Yummy cherries!

Yummy cherries!

Introduced to these several yrs ago and I indulge myself one bag a yr! They are a bit pricey, but oh so delish! I'm sure you are all aware of them, but just in case there is one or two..Renier cherries is the name! Going to go now and have another!

Blog Entries
    Yes, hubs and sil as well as grans love them --very good !

I love them too and indulge with several bags while they are in season. They are very similar to the old Royal Anne cherries we had as a kid growing up in the Northwest. We had a couple hundred plus year old trees on our property that were huge so we picked many, many, many apple boxes of them for canning. That’s one of the things I miss most from Oregon as the cherries are a lot more expensive and rare in Arizona!

Power Poster
    I enjoy all the in season fruits and freeze some as well for the winter months.

Oh yeah! Yummy! And expensive in North Carolina, but there worth every penny!

I believe they are named for Mt. Ranier, that gorgeous mountain in Washington state. Hubby and I have visited the lodge 3 times--we love to go to Seattle. Once we bought the cherries being sold along the roadside. Stopped at a self-serve station, washed them, and enjoyed on our drive. I saw them at Wally world yesterday for $6 per lb. That's too steep for me--I'll settle for the Bings.

Blog Entries
    I love cherries. Both kinds are good. I do love the Ranier ones the best. Sometimes I do splurge and buy them. The Bing cherries are on sale right now for $1.69. I will nearly make myself sick eating them:-) I have to take them away from myself sometimes because I just can't stop eating them.

I think I will go eat some now. They are not ranier, but bing and I love them especially the dark, dark red ones. I buy them as long as they are in season, which is not long and especially when they are on sale.

I left my bowl of cherries on the cupboard for the day, for snacking on. By evening some were already getting rotten.

Blog Entries
    I am a cherry fanatic, so much so, that I own a hand cherry putter so I can pit them as I eat them. Lol.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

My niece has a friend that owns a very small orchard with at least 4 different berries (she lives in Ellensburg WA). a couple years ago we picked at least 3 gallons of cherries - I think my DH ate at least half. They were so good. I bought a cherry pitter so I could make a pie, but so far have not done it. Pie cherries are another type altogether, we had 2 trees in our back yard growing up, my mom hated them.

Blog Entries
    If I find some here in Virginia, I will try them. Thanks for the recommendation.

I had to laugh...as I read this post I was indeed eating some bing cherries at the same time! Oh how I love them. I now eat mostly cherry flavored everything.....jam. Yogurt, muffins etc. You get the idea. Never tried the Ranier cherries but now I definitely will.

The only ones I know of are the really dark ones. Sooooo good!!!!!!!

I don't remember what kind these were, I got cherries from Costco and ate the whole package myself in 2 days. So good!

Blog Entries
    I just bought 3 pounds yesterday so I can make my homemade Brandy . Taste NOTHING like the Brandy you buy !!!

My husband got some I think Ranier at Whole Foods and they were gone in a flash! I didn't ask him what he paid for them but they were wonderful!
    Then he got some of the dark ones at Marc's and they were really good. I love the big, meaty ones. Yum!~

Ranier cherries have sort of a peach and red blush to them. Very tasty indeed. Very expensive here in Canada. They were $5.99 a pound yesterday in the grocery store. I bought enough for a taste.

Watson

I LOVE cherries...any kind. Once that bag is open, they're gone. I can eat a whole bag by myself easily. Luckily, they are a zero point food on WW. I don't consider them a huge expense because they are a healthy, natural food. I'd rather take out some processed food item from my basket to make room for the cherries. We're planning to plant a couple of cherry trees this fall.

~ C