View Single Post
Old 05-04-2010, 04:42 AM
JNCT14

Originally Posted by jolo
Kerri, When I first learned to applique,My DM told me to trace an object out of my coloring book ,I did , then I put it on the back side of fabric only we called it material back then. lol . pinned of course since fusible stuff was not even thought of. Cut out allowing approx 1/8 in to turn under. I also basted the turn under,now I do needle turn. place it on the fabric u r going to app it onto. Now u again have a choice. The old fashioned way to appy is to do a button hole stitch with black embroidery floss. Or a small hidden hem stitch. Do you embroidery? If not go to the library or on the internet and look at how to do these stitche. u can google them. Does any of this make sense to u. If not pm me and we will see what else we can do . Just remember u r talking to a granny whe is not computer literate. Jolo
My nana taught me the same way! She called it a basket stitch and said to use coloring book shapes becasue they are larger and easier to deal with. She also said to spray starch the piece before turning under the seam allowance as the starch made it easier. Freezer paper method I learned from one of my books (Georgia Bonesteel????). Thank goodness for gannies as they are our best source of wisdom!!!!