View Single Post
Old 06-20-2010, 05:32 AM
granny18

I know fabric is expensive....I have a very small fabric shop, which I will be closing at the end of July. I do live in a small town, but I am the only place outside of WM that sells fabric, thread, etc. WM says they are closing there fabrics and notions soon (whatever that means)

I mostly carry Moda fabrics. Since I opened last Sept. my wholesale prices have increased by $.50 per yard, but I have not gone up on my prices. This lowers my "profit" to $3.00 a yard. From that $3.00 I must pay $800 a month rent, four months of winter weather sent my electric bill to $500 per month, add on insurance, a little advertising, city charges for water, trash and sewage is $50. a month, credit card machine charges, internet ad charges, maintance fees, repayment of start up financing, and on and on.

I need to sell about $3000 a month before I can even buy a Coke. I am my stores only employee, and I work for free. Lately, I have even been paying for the right to work all day.lol

So this is why the retailers have had to go up on their prices and this is one the reason why I will be closing in about 4 weeks.

It has been a very hard lesson. I still don't understand my town. The citizens here would rather drive 60+ miles into San Antonio to maybe find what they are looking for at Joann's or Hancocks, then to support their local, hometown merchants.

Ok....got that off my chest. lol
Virginia, soon to be a 71 year old ex-shop owner.