View Single Post
Old 06-20-2010, 08:29 AM
Quilter2B

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
Some of the classes from well known quilters charge around $350 per class. Congrats if you can AFFORD that! I can't! I can't even afford the BOM's that are offered everywhere - at least $25 per month PLUS everything else?? Myyyy I really think there are less $$$ ways of doing it. How many are subscribed to BOM's??
When I went to my first quilt show in Pomona a few years ago I was literally floored at the charges to participate in a BOM from some of the vendors. Yes I know it takes the vendor time to put together a curriculum but my goodness are they truly worth that much????

Originally Posted by QKO
But please don't accuse shop owners of gouging. We're not.

Most of us are barely keeping our heads above water, and many of us have invested our life savings into this effort. If we can't charge what it takes to keep ahead of the bill collectors, we'll have to go out of business.
I wouldn't bunch ALL shop owners in such a general statement - I'm sure some do and some don't. I know it would take many years to enforce the rule of supply and demand in the fabric industry but if people stopped paying the high prices eventually they would come down because the manufacturers would have an over abdundance of high quality product that no one will pay their ransom for.

Everyone has to work within the budget they have. Congratulations that you have the ability to be the boss and work in an industry you obviously have such a passion for. Been there, done that. Many of us only dream of experiencing that reality.

Personally I can't afford to shop at a LQS. I've sewn for over 40+ years and even if I had a $100,000 fabric budget I really don't think I would change the way I shop.