View Single Post
Old 07-15-2010, 09:40 AM
Bubblegum0077

OK, newbies, just take the chance. The worst that can happen is you need to tear it out. But what you will learn from it all , is that it's ok to make mistakes. I was told a while back that no quilt is perfect; there are ALWAYS IMPERFECTIONS IN EVERY QUILT, veteran or not. Gotta say that that's true. I've been quilting for two years and I am still learning. I've been shown several ways of doing blocks that I could write a book. I took a quilting class last October and the teacher showed us how to hand quilt and hand cut a lot of our pieces. Ah, there are rotary techniques a lot simpler, but she showed us the "old fashioned way!" Not my cup of tea since carpal tunnel rules the wrists. Show me a short cut and I wont forget it.

I think it's great to learn under someone. It takes away some of the fears of being new to the hobby. YouTube also has a lot of techniques that can help out when you are stuck and need an quick answer to it NOW.

I subscribe to a great quilting magazine - Fons and Porter's Love of Quilting and their cutting format is very simple and easy to understand. I am spoiled from their layout and when I look at other quilting magazines, I get somewhat confused expecting to find the same layout in those too. A quilting class helps if you have absolutely no clue to what you are doing or have never sewn before, but have no fear you will accomplish this endeavor. Most of all have fun making your quilt. My quilting time is what I call my "therapy time" and since I am so consumed in what I'm doing, it totally relaxes me. I sometimes get frustrated and that's when I put it down and walk away. I also don't sew when I am really tired because I can't concentrate.

There are a few items you will, no doubt, need to even start quilting; a large cutting mat, long rulers and squared 12 1/2" rulers, a sharp rotary cutter and extra blades, pins, fabric and paper scissor, pair of long tweezers, 1/4" foot, and of course a sewing machine unless you plan to hand quilt. Basically you need the right tools to get the job done. So start out with these and add as you go along.

And don't forget the more you quilt, the better you will get. You will eventually want to show the world what you are doing too. So post pics because we all want to see your work. Encouragement goes a long way too.

Take care and Happy Quilting.