View Single Post
Old 08-03-2010, 08:46 AM
dforesee

I made all of my daughter's dresses, mostly smocked, until she was 10 years old (now 24). I have always loved quilts and saved all of the scraps from those dresses so I could "some day learn how to make a quilt." I assumed "some day" would come when I retired from work. However, "some day" came early. Eight years ago, after learning I had breast cancer and in the midst of taking 5 months off work due to weakened immune system from treatments, I met a lady who was part of a Thursday afternoon quilting group that had met for 50 years. As soon as she found out I was interested in quilting, she took me under her wing, brought me into the group, and the rest is history. My first quilt, made from all of my daughter's little girl fabrics was made by the "Improved Nine Patch" pattern. Looking back now, I am thankful for beautiful memories that came from a difficult time in my life... just a testimony of how God works things out for our good. I had to leave that beloved quilting group when I went back to work, but I still quilt with the lady who brought me in every Friday night. I have made many, many quilts since 2002 and often think how glad I am that I did not wait until retirement age (still 15 years away) to get started.