Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Why did you start quilting

I started when my eldest daughter was very ill with an eating disorder (she is now much better) and after 18 months needed some 'me' time so enrolled on a beginners course and lost myself in a quilt!! I still find it very theraputic and my quilts hold many emotions in the stitches :-)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by janedee
    I started when my eldest daughter was very ill with an eating disorder (she is now much better) and after 18 months needed some 'me' time so enrolled on a beginners course and lost myself in a quilt!! I still find it very theraputic and my quilts hold many emotions in the stitches :-)
    Glad to hear that your daughter is doing better and hopefully will continue. I know what you mean about quilting being theraputic. After my dad past away on Christmas Eve I just felt so lost because I had been spending so much time with him the last few months he had and that was one reason I bought my longarm. Then I met a lady that does alot with the American Hero Quilts and I ask if she could use some help. As I was quilting the first American Hero quilt I felt so close to my dad and I knew that I could do something to honor him and make him feel proud of me. So I committed to quilting 82 of the American Hero quilts before what would have been my dads 82nd birthday. I did 82 quilts in 49 days. Each and every quilt that I did brought me a little further thru my grieving process I guess you might say because I thought of dad almost the whole time I was doing each one. I thought of all the men and women who have devoted so much of their time and sometimes there lives to protect people they don't even know. I am very proud of my dad for serving in the Korean War and my daughter for serving 9 years in the Navy and all the other countless people who have done the same. Even know as I type this the tears are flowing but I know that the quilting has helped me alot thru losing my dad. I really have to thank my son for encouraging me to invest in my longarm at a time that I felt so lost. He really understands me. I am very blessed.

Gal
    I don't really know, all I know is that even as a very young girl I always new that one day I wanted to make quilts when I had the time to learn the skills.

Gal

I've known how to sew for forever it seems and when our Ladies Group at church banded together to make a quilt once, I was bitten by the quilt bug and voila - here I am today!

Senior Member ClairVoyantQuilter's Avatar
    When my daughters were young, I made all their dresses, many of which were smocked. When they reached their teen years, they preferred clothes from Abercrombie LOL . . .so I focused my sewing energy on quilts :)

Blog Entries
    I started by making my children their clothes when they were small and then just progressed to quilts when they no longer wanted to wear what I was making! lol I also sew too keep sane! when my mind is working too hard and making me worry I find just sitting and sewing quiets the 'worry' thoughts and is soothing.

Blog Entries
    I started quilting to have something FUN to do!

I used to watch Simply Quilts every morning while I ate breakfast, before I went to work. I was fascinated by it all but never considered doing it, although I do sew some. When I retired my younger son said "Now you can make me a quilt". I said "But I don't quilt" and he said "Well, you can learn". It intrigued me so I signed up for a class and the rest is history. I really do enjoy it on many levels - therapy, relaxation, creativity, accomplishment, etc. And now I have 5 sewing machines but am enjoying the treadle for piecing and a vintage singer for quilting. So much room in the throat!

My sister got me started when I retired from teaching in 1996. She would mail me all kind of goodies to try out. I started with a couple Eleanor Burns videos. She only shopped from her desk/phone, so she had me making trips to every quilt shop that had sales & then I would have the fabrics shipped to her as she was 300 miles from me.

I made a quilt for my son and DIL for their wedding in 2006. First quilt I had ever made. During the process I learned that I probably picked the hardest pattern I could have for a first quilt. I thought it would be easy, as it was embroidered 14" blocks. How wrong I was.... but I did get it finished in time.

After that, I decided to take some lessons. Learned the basics, and the rest I learned from books as I went along. There is no stopping me now.

I started when I was pregnant for baby #4. I started getting very anxious and hubby bought me a brother sewing machine and said have a go at making something that would take my mind off of things. I finished my first quilt 1 week before she was born (5-27-09) and since then have only completely finished one more, but have made 3 pieced tops and have one sandwiched. Have learned to make a few small projects also, but not too much as kids don't give you much time anymore :lol: Gotta say that it was very theraputic (spelling?) through my last trimester. I have one friend around here that quilts also, but she doesn't have much time either as she is trying to make a side business of making cakes (which she is awesome at that also). Anywho, so glad hubby brought me a sewing machine home and would choose anything else to do other than this.

I saw some of my MIL's quilts, and they were SO pretty, so she asked if I wanted to learn.

My first quilt was just to use up scraps, and because my sister made a quilt that I thought was really cool. But the bug didn't bite me that time, and I didn't make another quilt for five years (and didn't plan to ever make another one), and actually remember saying "I just don't care for quilting, I like sewing clothes better."

Then my sister was going to have a baby, and so I determined I was going to make a baby quilt. The quilt bug bit HARD that time.

I first tried quilting as a teenager to use up some of the scraps that I had already accumulated from sewing clothing for myself and my sisters. I didn't actually finish that quilt until I was 32 and wanted a quilt for my little girl's first "big bed". Then I started stitching baby quilts as all my friends and family were having babies. Somewhere in the middle of all of this, I realized that quilting was my sanity saver and I've been at it ever since. With a big family, someone always needs a quilt. I have managed to make quilts for my kids and all of my nieces and nephews (more than 25 in total) and now it's time to start over as some of those early quilts are starting to show a lot of wear and my first great niece just arrived and needs an Aunt Penny quilt too!

My path into quilting is a little different from what I've read before. Back in the early days of online quilting groups, I accidentally found myself in a quilting section on the old GEnie BBS. I was so impressed with the people there. They were such a caring and supportive group -- I tried to learn to quilt just so I could hang out with them. When GE sold the BBS and the group broke up, I didn't do any more with quilting until a couple of years ago.

Guess I was bitten by the bug way back then and incubation just took a while. Especially the fabric addiction... :lol:

I love fabric and love looking at fabric and about 8 years ago thought quilting would be fun. but never really got into it. then went to cali with my then hubby to be and met his grandpa and his wife pat. well she was a quilter and she got me really going. I had kinda made a "practice" quilt that I called dizzy ugly. mostly because of the fabric. I still haven't finished that one. and then I started to collect fabric. It wasn't until after my son was born that i really started to get into quilting. I made my first "quilt" for him. That was this last January. and since then I have com pleated two wall hangings and am working on a third that is going to be a lap quilt. I think it is going to end up being a little large but that is okay. So getting my quilting bug was due to my mom who gave me the fabric bug and my hubby's step-grandma who gave me the bug to quilt.

When my youngest daughter was 2 I asked a friend to teach me to sew clothing for the girls who are tall and lanky and it was hard to find clothes to cover them properly. At that time, my friend also helped me make a simple Double Nine-Patch block for a wall hanging but it didn't stick with me. That was 4 years ago. Then, last summer I had an emergency appendectomy followed by an unexpected, full hysterectomy, 6 weeks apart. I was devastated to have to give up that child-bearing season of my life. In my recovery time, when I was still on bedrest, I came across an Eleanor Burns' show and was fascinated, but determined to learn this. I bought "Quilting For Dummies" and Eleanor's "It's El-ementary" beginner books and just started teaching myself. I took out that old Double Nine Patch I had, sandwiched it, quilted it and even taught myself the binding. I've been hooked since!

During the Korean conflict, I was pregnant with our first child, and my husband was in the Pacific, on a ship. Living with my folks didn't give me lots of work, but lots of time on my hands. Someone gave me pink and blue fabric, and showed me the stitches. Fifty eight years later, I am still bending thread, now it's for great grandchildren quilts. piecefully, the old one

I moved to a new town and needed/wanted to make friends. I had never even sewn on a button before my first quilt class. That's what safety pins are for :) :) And of course my first quilt was an applique!!! Had to have the teacher thread the machine for me. I was hooked immediately. As a child my grandmother quilted and let me sit at her feet and pump the treadle with my hands as she quilted, but I didn't have any interest in learning any more back then.

I was around 12 when I first made my quilt with an old treadle singer machine.
    My grandmother was a seamstress and raised me.

She taught me to sew.

I still have the sewing machine too! The quilt is long gone.

I hope your daughter is doing better.

When my son was about 2, I decided to buy myself a sewing machine and teach myself how to quilt. I bought an inexpensive Singer model machine, and a sewing kit, ordered two pre-cut quilt kits, and got started. That was before the rotary cutter was invented!
    I sewed quilts, stuffed animals, doll quilts, and such. The quilting bug bit hard, as I am still at it today! Love it!!

My start was just pretty random. I decided upon the birth of a good friend's little girl that I would make a quilt for her. I did not quilt for another four months, and then suddenly decided to start again. If the quilting bug does have an incubation period, well, it took my bugs four months to wreak wonderful quilting havoc! ;0) The fabric addiction would soon follow thereafter. And, as my network of friends in DC/Alexandria, VA were changing jobs and places, quilting became a remedy to some of the lonliness and loss I felt at that time. It also helped me to find some other friends that I would not have otherwise found. It is amazing how theraputic quilting is, as I'm learning from some of the others who told their tremendous stories of loss, and how quilting became their start to overcoming their grief. No wonder why I love quilting.

I love arts and crafts and when I see something I like, I want to try it out. No courses, no books.
    I look over the internet to get some idea of what I want to do. I went for a visit and tour of of one of John Wayne's houses and his farm here in AZ. On one of the beds was a puff quilt. I thought what fun that might be and I love challenge.
    My first quilt was a full sized puff quilt for my granddaughter. It took long but, gave me hours of relaxation.
    I am hooked. I now just recently finished a queen quilt for my daughter and son in law and have 2 small baby quilts on the burner to do now. I also have a stash of fabric to make my niece and her fiance. I have a stash to make a queen sized quilt for my spare bedroom. I plan down the road when this is all done, I am going to make a quilt for both of my sisters and their husbands.
    I still have a needlepoint eagle to finish and I have loads of wool to do other projects should I need a break.

When I retired I knew I wanted a "hobby". I decided I wanted to learn tapestry weaving. It had always intriqued me. Bought a loom, how to book and yarn. Made one project and took it off the loom. It was pretty "wonkie". Warped the loom again and never started another project. (warping the loom is a project in itself) Sold the loom on e-bay. At least now I know how it is done but decided it wasn't for me. Decided I liked quilts and would try one myself. My first bed size quilt was a simple nine patch queen size and hand quilted. That was about nine years ago and I have been doing it ever since. No classes, just a pattern and sometimes no instructions with it. I've since learned a lot from books and other people I have met through this wonderful hobby. Hope I'm getting better.

I have sewed clothing for a very long time. Learning from Home Ec class way back in the good ol' days.I made an odd quilt but never really took to it when my kids were little,...probably too busy working and raising a family. My job as a nurse in a very small rural hospital is very stressful in ways that are different from a larger hospital. Every person that comes in has some connection to us. We are either related or a friend or mom's friend...I've joked with my DH about it saying "I've seen everyone in this town naked". That being said I was having a particularly hard time with a couple of rather tragic incidents at work and had great trouble disconnecting my brain and refocusing on my life rather than others. I was doing busy work to keep my mind off of the sadness and tragedy around me and cleaning out a closet jammed full of odds and ends and found a whole bunch of blue jeans. Not one to throw anything out I started cutting them up into squares and... you guessed it....I made a quilt. I found that while i was doing it I could put my life back into perspective and it was calming. I now quilt as I HAVE to, It makes sense when too many things in life do not.From tears I make flowers.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast