Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Why did you start quilting

I had always wanted to learn how to quilt, but thought I would never have the ability to do it. Then a couple of years ago a lady in church offered to some beginning classes. I could only make it to the first one, but it was enough to hook me. I've really enjoyed it ever since. My favorite thing to do for someone now is to make them a quilt.

My mother made numerous quilts usually only in the winter time. And I watched all the craft shows on HGTV (before they took them off) with my breakfast as well. One day I decided I wanted to try it so I went to Joanne's Fabric and picked out the print first then four cordinating fabrics from the print. Now if I could find the time to put the back together that would be great I would actually get it finished.

I started into sewing when in 4-h at age 8. Sewed mainly clothes and as got older I really decided I disliked it, so pretty much quit. (In the meantime my mother had started making quilts (absolutely beautiful) and had made my oldest son one with horse heads and a log cabin design around them. I absolutely loved it. Then my grandparents passed away a couple of years apart I was very close to both of them and it tore me apart. I was looking for something to do to get my mind off it.One day I looked at my sons quilt and I thought to myself I should be able to do that. I purchased some material, measured with a ruler,drew lines with pencils,then cut with scissors the length of fabric and pressed seam open and proceeded to make myself a quilt(I knew nothing of how to quilt so the quilt police would of had a hey day!)The rest is history! It's been 6 years and am Definetly hooked!

Blog Entries
    I have several friends who are quilters and they got me interested because of the beautiful work they do. It was a "I can do that too" type of thing and then I fell in love with it.
    Now that I am retired I have more time. My DH built me a beautiful frame using a Hinterberg hardware kit so that it cost us only about $290 to do instead of buying an equivalent one for around $700.
    THEN I joined this board (can't remember how I found out about it anymore) and it has been such a delight! I have learned so much and everyone is so sharing and caring! It has made me even more into quilting.
    I also met one of my dearest friends through the QB.

Blog Entries
    I saw a baby quilt hanging in a lodge in Wyoming. I had sewn clothes since I was 15, and I thought, "I could make that." Well, I made an identical one--and finished it 20 years later! I haven't finished my 2nd, 3rd, or 4th quilt, either. But I have finished almost all of them after that.

Quote Originally Posted by oldhag
    I have sewed clothing for a very long time. Learning from Home Ec class way back in the good ol' days.I made an odd quilt but never really took to it when my kids were little,...probably too busy working and raising a family. My job as a nurse in a very small rural hospital is very stressful in ways that are different from a larger hospital. Every person that comes in has some connection to us. We are either related or a friend or mom's friend...I've joked with my DH about it saying "I've seen everyone in this town naked". That being said I was having a particularly hard time with a couple of rather tragic incidents at work and had great trouble disconnecting my brain and refocusing on my life rather than others. I was doing busy work to keep my mind off of the sadness and tragedy around me and cleaning out a closet jammed full of odds and ends and found a whole bunch of blue jeans. Not one to throw anything out I started cutting them up into squares and... you guessed it....I made a quilt. I found that while i was doing it I could put my life back into perspective and it was calming. I now quilt as I HAVE to, It makes sense when too many things in life do not.From tears I make flowers.
    Hello oldhag,, As you said"From tears I make flowers" I say Amen to that!!!!! :thumbup: :XD: :mrgreen: :-P

Quote Originally Posted by zactanls
    I had sewed for my children for years but then I bought an embroidery machine and started making memory quilts. Each person got 12 blocks of their choice like their dog, sport, children's names with a picture. It was like a 4 patch in-between. That got me hooked on quilting. Now I rarely make the memory quilts but I have really gotten into making all kinds of scrap quilts. I belong to a strip club that meets the first 2 Wednesdays of the month. We make a strip quilt every other month. I really love it.
    Hey zactanls, "strip club" do you get many good looking men stripping! :lol: :lol: I think I might need to join! :lol: :lol:

I started after my dh bought me a machine last July. I have always wanted to but didn't think I would be good enough. But I don't really care because I enjoy it and practice makes perfect. I used to watch my Grandfather alot. He loved quilting and he quilted until he was 91. He put a sign out in front of his house and sold quilts to people all over. They were nothing fancy just scrap material and cut into squares. He used an old blanket for the center and flannel back. I used to love watching him, so I guess that is why I got started.

I remember as a little girl sitting under the quilting table while my mother and her friends would quilt and gossip. That was 75 years ago...then when my special sister-friend showed me a quilt made from used jeans, I thought I could do that...my daughter in law (a quilter) gifted me with a cutting pad and a rotary cutter and I was off and running. Since I have comleted a denim quilt, two twins, a doll quilt and a changing pad. Love has entered my life via the sewing machine !!

Quote Originally Posted by tdgiffin
    Quote Originally Posted by CorgiNole
    I'm not sure why.

I've always admired quilts and envied those who make such beautiful items. But I've also always been worried about my ability to execute such items (a nasty streak of perfectionism).

This spring, I found directions for a Rag Quilt and thought that sounded like a neat way to quilt without having to worry about the accuracy (Um - Nope - Accuracy in seams, cutting, etc. is still a good idea). The more I read about quilting, the more intrigued I got. Then I found this board and learned about Harriet Hargrave's Quilters Academy series.

Now I'm hooked.

Cheers, K
    Can you tell me more about that program?
    Eventually there will be 6 books working from very basic quilt design and construction (Freshman year) through very advanced quilt making - Doctorate! They are set up in such a way that you can teach yourself to quilt - and provide a good set of explanations for why actions/steps are recommended.

There are a few discussions on the board:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-50106-1.htm
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-48645-1.htm

You can also click on the link in my signature to reach my blog, Quilting with Corgis, that I'm keeping as I work my way through the books. There is also an Australian quilter who has completed the Freshman year and is working her way into the Sophomore year (the others have not been released yet) and is keeping an excellent blog with her progress: http://patchnblock.blogspot.com/

Cheers, K

My husband and I went to the Sisters Quilt Show. I wanted to make quilts like that. They were works of art. So I started taking classes. I haven't made many quilts, I work full time, but I have loved every quilt I have made.

I always swore up and down that I would NEVER quilt. Every year, my sisters would invite me to join them at the Quilting Shows. Reluctantly, I would go but still held firm to NOT quilting. I have no patience in a project that takes more than a day to complete. Wonder of wonders......a granddaugther came along and it was time to eat my words and begin my first quilting attempt. I am still holding firm to my ground of quickie quilts; the quilts are all the same pattern (just different fabric prints) and a 9 patch type. One of these days I just might move on to something a little more challenging. Everyone's quilts that I see on this site.....oh you are all so very talented!!!

I am a compulsive crafter and Dh thought my soap making habit was just too expensive. He actually loaded me up, brought me to Quilt in a Day, signed me up, bought book and rulers for the Log Cabin class and from then on it is history. As for the anticipated money saved. Hehehehehe Little did he know he opened up Pandora's Box. He has bought me many sewing machines, thinks I need a long arm quilting machine, collects vintage machines and made me the most awesome Studio above the garage.

I started quilting when i reconnected with a old friend.She is excellent at all types of needlecraft. She is an excellent teacher as well. :D :D :D

we do have 1 man in our club but I really wouldn't want to see him stripping. lol

A "good" friend of mine said she wanted to take up quilting and did I want to join her for a class. Of course, I said sure. The class that only cost $ 30.00 ended up costing me about $ 600.00. I had to buy a sewing machine That was 7 years ago. After joining the quilting class with her, I mentioned it at church and now have 2 other ladies who quilt. Our favourite pass time is going to our FQS together. Seems like we always want to just go and look, but come home with that fabric you just could not pass up. About 30 quilts later, my friend says I can no longer call myself a "new Quilter." I still consider myself a new quilter.. The points don't always match. The seams in the back have a habit of turning themselves when I piece them together. But it is relaxing and very addictive. I try to use up my scraps with the scrappy quilts, but some how the scrapes always seem to grow, not disappear. Although this is an expensive hobbie, it is one that I have been doing for 7 years, which is a long time for me to enjoy it. I hope it never stops, probably won't because I have to use up all those scrapes. lol

Blog Entries
    I made my first quilt when I was 12 (gosh that was 46 yrs ago!) but real quilting started for me in 1988. My youngest son just turned 1, my other sons were 6 & 8 and my FIL lived with us as well. I desperately needed some girl time. So I took a class which gave me the bug to want to learn more. Couldn't afford much in those days so I would go to the local fabric shop and gather fabrics to plan my quilt. When it was time to go home I put them all back. My second quilt was in 1989. I've been crazy over quilting ever since and I will talk fabric and quilting with any one. I guess I would say I'm obsessive.

I had dabbled in quilting in my early 20's but then got way to busy. In 2003 I lost my parents in a house fire and headed into a deep depression. I could not go back to work and decided to take up quilting as a way for me to focus on something other than my depression. I soon developed a love for batiks and now quilting brings me joy but it also kind of saved my life!

Blog Entries
    My Grandmother did charity quilts when I was a kid and we occassionaly got one for ourselves. I loved looking at them. I grew up sewing (started at age 11). Made my first quilt when my sister had her first child back in 1982 or so, been quilting ever since. Especially when there has been a crisis in my life....great therapy...and helps me work through the problem without focusing on the problem.

I was working part time at a local fabric store that had a pretty big quilting department (much better than JoAnn's, and closer to everyone than Keepsake). After 2 months of seeing all these gorgeous quilts come in for border matching, or cutting stacks of bolts for the next big project, I decided I needed to learn. I figured I'd been sewing for 15 years, how hard could it be to teach myself to quilt? I picked up Ursula Reikes 'More Quits for Baby, Easy as ABC' and away I went! Haven't looked back since. =)

I made all of my daughter's dresses, mostly smocked, until she was 10 years old (now 24). I have always loved quilts and saved all of the scraps from those dresses so I could "some day learn how to make a quilt." I assumed "some day" would come when I retired from work. However, "some day" came early. Eight years ago, after learning I had breast cancer and in the midst of taking 5 months off work due to weakened immune system from treatments, I met a lady who was part of a Thursday afternoon quilting group that had met for 50 years. As soon as she found out I was interested in quilting, she took me under her wing, brought me into the group, and the rest is history. My first quilt, made from all of my daughter's little girl fabrics was made by the "Improved Nine Patch" pattern. Looking back now, I am thankful for beautiful memories that came from a difficult time in my life... just a testimony of how God works things out for our good. I had to leave that beloved quilting group when I went back to work, but I still quilt with the lady who brought me in every Friday night. I have made many, many quilts since 2002 and often think how glad I am that I did not wait until retirement age (still 15 years away) to get started.

I started quilting when I had one of 3 foot surgeries and had to stay off my feet for weeks at a time. I pieced the quilts prior to surgery and then hand quilted when I was sitting in my chair for hours at a time and couldn't walk. I then expanded my interest and now women in the church group have joined me in making 40X60 inch comfort quilts for the people living in nursing homes. :lol:

My grandmother quilted because she had to in those days. My mother didn't have time since she raised 8 children. I am the only one of 4 girls that started quilting several years ago. My mother in law quilted and I caught the bug from her really I guess. I am not by any means a good piecer or quilter but I trully enjoy it. It just is relaxing and I have to have something to either piece or quilt when I sit down. I truly enjoy this quilting board and have learned so much by the tutuorials. :)

I always wanted to learn. When I quit working, I took a class; and the rest, as they say, is history.

I started quilting when my son passed away. I needed something to keep my mind off what had happened. The first one I did, was a quilt that I sewed by hand. I gave it to my grandson,(his Dad was our son). He still has it and he loves it and is proud that his grandma made it for him.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast