Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Why did you start quilting

lbc
    My sister-in-law got me hooked on quilting when I retired in Sept of 2005. I have since made about 25 quilts of varying sizes (the largest being a queen size), numerous pillow cases, pillows, baby bibs, potholders, coasters, etc. etc. It has been fun, relaxing and has enabled me to be a bit creative. I have also made some wonderful new friends.

Finally another 4-H'er! I just knew their had to be at least one other in this group! I started sewing in 4-H at age 10, and have loved sewing ever since, but not quilting, in fact I watched my mother put together so many quilts, for family and friends, and velvet &silk crazy quilt pillows, I swore I would never quilt as she did most every stitch by hand. I HATE hand sewing. But much like some other of this crowd saw a few TV shows and decided I could machine quilt and have only put together a few, but am now working on finishing a quilt my mother must have started and never finished years ago(I wish I had found it before she passed to ask her)..I hope I'll be able to finish it for her, it certainly brings back memories of her at the frame...

Quote Originally Posted by mrsk
    Finally another 4-H'er! I just knew their had to be at least one other in this group! I started sewing in 4-H at age 10, and have loved sewing ever since, but not quilting, in fact I watched my mother put together so many quilts, for family and friends, and velvet &silk crazy quilt pillows, I swore I would never quilt as she did most every stitch by hand. I HATE hand sewing. But much like some other of this crowd saw a few TV shows and decided I could machine quilt and have only put together a few, but am now working on finishing a quilt my mother must have started and never finished years ago(I wish I had found it before she passed to ask her)..I hope I'll be able to finish it for her, it certainly brings back memories of her at the frame...
    I also taught myself how to "sew" during 4-H but didn't mention it since the question was about quilting. I enjoyed my 4-H days!!!

Loved! 4-H & kinda regret not being able to get my kids to join. But they r more sports people, and we couldn't manage both!

Blog Entries
    I have always admired the colors and patterns of quilts. The coziness of a well-quilted quilt has always appealed to me - made me want to curl up in just about every quilt I saw. And the obvious skill it takes to make one challenged me and continues to do so today. I've been a wanna be quilter for many years and have made a few quilts over the last 5 years. Still admiring, still appealing, and will always be challenged by the skill and the talent.

Quote Originally Posted by ClairVoyantQuilter
    When my daughters were young, I made all their dresses, many of which were smocked. When they reached their teen years, they preferred clothes from Abercrombie LOL . . .so I focused my sewing energy on quilts :)
    Me too ClairVoyantQuilter!

I saw how beautiful they were and the colors and patterns. Makes you want to take it and put it on your bed and snuggle down for a long winters nap. My mil does wonderful Quilts and so I had to give it a try. Only made one and that was sometime ago and now the bug has bitten again.

The "Plain and Simple" beautifully pieced and quilted Amish Quilts have always drawn me to want to become skilled in this art. Magazines, books, such as Country Living and Country Home that demonstrated how quilts decorate a home also have inspired me to learn how to quilt. Then living in Kentucky with the Paducah Quilt Show (that I want to attend so BAD) also is an inspiration. Skilled - not yet, but I want to quilt.

I did it when I was a kid/pre-teen b/c my grandma quilted. When I quit my job after 2 miscarriages to de-stress and concentrate on starting a family, I started hand piecing just like I had with Grandma. My husband would call me and ask me how many blocks I had done b/c he knew it calmed me down and kept me even thru the fertility treatments. It's still a way for me to get lost from the day and regroup.

My grandmother taught me to quilt YEARS ago when I was about 12. I have not done any quilting until now.

wE have a daughter with special medical needs and I wind up spending WEEKS every year at the hospital with her. It got to be too much hauling scrapbook material up to the hospital all the time.

THEN I had a friend suggest I start quilting and and that I could hand quilt my blacok MUCH easier at the hospital. SO this is how I got into it.

LaQuita
    www.caringbridge.org/visit/shea

I always thought I was born quilting. My early memories are sitting next to my mom with the large quilt in the frame which took up most of the living room in our old farm house. So as a result I really learned to hand quilt before I taught myself the piecing. I still love the hand quilting, but realize there are other ways of getting projects finished. If I have a 'heirloom' quilt I will take it back to Iowa and have a quilting shop there arrange to have it Amish quilted. For my grandchildren's quilts I will machine quilt (or have it machine quilted) since they are laundered a great deal. Small projects I still like to hand quilt. I went through the period of making most of my own clothes, made clothes for my daughter and now only sew quilt related items: wall hangings, table toppers, table runners, placemats, etc. Sewing has indeed been good therapy for me. I can get lost in my sewing room and forget everything else. Ruby Y Campos

I've sewn for over 50 years, but really got interested in making more professional looking clothing in the early 1980's. My wardrobe (mainly for my secretarial job) was very sparse. I wanted to make clothes to wear to the office that did not look dorky & home made so I started watching all the sewing programs on t.v. that I could find to watch. As well as learning loads of helpful tips, I learned what notions would be helpful and how to best use them. Somehow watching the sewing shows (mainly Sewing With Nancy) branched out to include quilting shows. There were a lot of excellent quilting shows on t.v. at that time (1980's & '90's). Now I don't have access to any in this viewing area.

In addition to making clothing, I made a lot of dolls. When I quit working in the mid-90's, I quit making clothing, continued to make dolls and started to make quilts. The quilt making has since shoved the doll making totally out of the picture. As it is, I need to live to be about 150 years old (and be active and creative) to make all the quilts I want to make.

P.S.: I'm not sure I'm getting any better at this hobby. Each quilt top I make is quite different from any others I've done, so creates a whole new playing field and new frustrations.

In 1981 my husband bought me a sewing machine for our first anniversary I didnt sew but he thought my mother did so I should i learned to make doll clothes and dolls but in 2002 I had a heartattack at 42 years old and the doctor said I needed a destresser So I decided that maybe it was time to get serious with my sewing machine I picked up some fabric saw a quilt pattern that i fell in love with and decided to make it smaller Lost my heart to little quilts

Quote Originally Posted by Annaquilts
    I am a compulsive crafter and Dh thought my soap making habit was just too expensive. He actually loaded me up, brought me to Quilt in a Day, signed me up, bought book and rulers for the Log Cabin class and from then on it is history. As for the anticipated money saved. Hehehehehe Little did he know he opened up Pandora's Box. He has bought me many sewing machines, thinks I need a long arm quilting machine, collects vintage machines and made me the most awesome Studio above the garage.
    Sounds Great do you have pic of your studio? :mrgreen:

I began two years ago when my daughter told me she wanted me to make her one for Christmas. I had two weeks to get it made and made one for her, my other three kids, and almost finished a king size one for a friend plus made one for my bed for Christmas, then I got busy for the rest of the winter and finished about eight more. It was one thing to sew clothing and be done with a piece in a day, but I had to do a quilt in a day to be able to get home with everything before Christmas as I teach and live in SD then then travel to MO for Christmas.

I started quilting a long time ago. My Mom 2 Aunts and Granny would sit around Grannys old square table, lower the frames from the ceiling and quilt. They could finish one in 1 days. I was around 8 years old and sometime Granny would thread the needle for me and let me quilt, and at first she probably took the stitches out and night and fixed the quilt, but my love for quilding goes back the around the age of 8, now I am 74 and still love to quilt. I have that old square table now in my kitchen. It is 4'x4' and when the leaves in it it is 4'8' [email protected]

Power Poster
    I was living and going to school out in Los Angeles. I was in my early 20s, myself and a few coworkers wanted to take quilt lessons. I took my first quilt lesson from Mary Ellen Hopkins in Santa Monica Calif in her very first quilt shop. She was so much fun. Now she is a renowned quilter, lecturer, designer and probably a lot more. I was so lucky to have had my first lessons with her. We made Christmas placemats and I'm sure a lot more but I cann't remember now.

I was asked by my daughter to make her one for Christmas. I had always refused to make a quilt. I didn't want to sit and cut out little squares. I have had so much fun I have a Pfaff hobby quilter and sixteen or maybe ok 20 sewing machines mostly treadle in my sewing room. I teach my sister, and grand daughters to quilt and sew now that I have started this. I had always sewn for survival. School clothes needed outfits for concerts and so on. Now I have tubs of material and enough machines to begin a school. It is all fun and good even though the local joke it it is my sweat shop.

What and inspirational thing to do...I hope your daughter is doing better. Maybe your love of quilting will rub off on her some day....Its amazing how things work out.

I started quilting just cause I love FABRIC and can't get enough. It was an excuse for me to keep buying more and its also that creative part in me that wants to try to do more and fabric is my medium. I've been like that since I was a very young girl and I am nearing 70

I love my story. I have told it here before once. My cousin Ferz (Jennifer) was diagnosed with lung cancer at age 45. She was like a sister to me. I spent a day a week with her (or more) the entire year she was alive. She was so creative and I wanted her to teach me everything she could before she died. We started a quilt in November 2009. She passed away on Christmas Eve 2009. We got as far as pinning the layers together. Since I have made 8 quilts! It is a true gift that she has given me. I am so greatful and think of her every single day while quilting.

I have sewn all my life. My mom one day when we were shopping said that know one ever made her a quilt. Well I could not have that, so I took her over to the magazine rack and pick up a Quilt mag. and told her to pick out a quilt and I would make it for her. I had now idea that they had rotery cutters ,cutting boards, any of the new notions that make quilt life easier. So I did every thing the hard way. I got the quilt made (it took six months) and I was hooked. That was 12 years ago and I have made well over hundred quilts both for family and friends as well as custumers. I have been machine quilting for people for 9 years. But now I really enjoy making quilts for me. But the grandkids, family and friends are always putting in their orders. I LOVE QUILTING.

I hated sewing when I was younger, so my mother in law got me interested in quilting about 8 years ago and I fell in love with it I guess because it's not making clothes.

gosh, I thought I had put my 2cents in but when I checked the forum, it wasn't there. I needed something to do when our son died. I had seen many quilts and my daughter quilted. So I figured this would help me to ease the pain of his loss. The very first quilt I did, was for my grandson, ( my son's son). He was so proud of that quilt he had to show everyone. I did it all by hand. He still has it to this day. since then, I've made quilts for my grandchildren, great grandchildren and friends. I only kept one and that was a turning twenty pattern.

My mother had us help tie comforters when we were preteens, stretching them on Grandma's 1901 home made quilting frame. I made patchwork baby quilts for my children (now in their forties) and just kept going. I still have Grandma's quilting frame and still use it.

My mother insisted we do a summer project every year, so the year I turned 12 I decided to make a quilt with my grandmother. I chose a Dresden Plate, piecing with circles and triangles then applique. OH, My. Not for a beginner, and grandma was a perfectionist! I had done simple sewing on a old black Singer straight stitch, but never a quilt or anything very complicated. But I finished it and used it for many years until the appliques literally disintegrated...my own children were in their teens by then. Since my retirement, I have gotten a long arm, and am doing custom longarming. Fun... I think my next quilt will be a dresden, just for old times sake.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast