Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Why did you start quilting

Dee
    I have since I was very young. Made all my clothes sons shirts,pjs and jeans etc. Then it was the small name tags on the clothes. I then went into home dec and baby ensambles. Now I get lost in quilts. Its the best theraphy one can have.

We always lived in rural settings; but my first memory was a 4-H club my sister and I belonged to. We took sewing as a class and that's where I learned. I was about 10 years old. I haven't stopped sewing since then. I made shirts for my husband and sons, then my youngest son finally rebelled on wearing the 'homemade shirts' - would only wear T-shirts - so I had to resort to some other hobby. I embroidered blocks and sewed the blocks together with sashing (didn't even know what it was called - as far as I was concerned it was strips of cloth ) for a memory quilt for my middle son to give to him on his wedding day. Hand quilted (took my time and was determined to do it correctly) around the embroidered blocks. I think that was my very first quilt project. Love it!

I had had an interest in quilting, but never really went past reading about it and buying a few pieces of fabric. I was so busy working and raising three children that I didn't really have time to quilt. Then, I tried out for our community theater musical play, "Quilters," which, through a mother and her daughters, tells the stories of courageous pioneer women. Each story is symbolized by a quilt block. It is a touching musical (I played the mother) and the experience of being part of this production really made me appreciate my own pioneer heritage. After the musical had its run, I joined a quilting guild and decided that I needed to learn how to make quilts. Something just resonated inside me and I started to learn all I could about the craft. I have always loved beautiful fabric and began to develop my stash! I am still learning with every quilting book I read and every quilt I design or start to make! This is the year I'm dedicating to finishing several UFO's I started but didn't complete! My problem is that I am interested in just too many things. I love reading, writing, drawing and painting, and music. I teach thirty-five to forty students piano, guitar, and voice lessons in my home each week! Sometimes I'm just too tired after teaching to do anything but lie down and read! At least, I get to read several quilting books and magazines! Anyway, the more I learn about and try different quilting techniques, the more I enjoy it. It has been so interesting to read about everyone's unique introduction to quilting. This is such a fun site. The only problem is all the time one can spend on the computer! Happy quilting, everyone! WLee

I started with a Wedding Wall Quilt for my eldest daughter. She has Rheinhardts Lupis and had been sick for a long while and I was surprised when her husband-to be picked her to spend the rest of his life with. The irony is he had A.D.D., so they help each other through the bad times. You see his truck, it is full of notes to remind him of things he needs to do while he drives. That will be 10 years on the 25th November, this year. I don't know what to give them YET.

When I was a little girl, my grandmother made quilts for the family including her brother and her sister and the cousins. I helped sometimes by cutting out the squares that Gram drew on to the material (old clothes) using a cardboard square. Later when I was going to have my son, I made a baby quilt then I really got into making quilts.

Blog Entries
    My Grandma taught me to sew at about 12 and with no pattern and ALL the shortcuts hehe. I made most of my clothes in high school as i was taller than store clothes. Then made my prom dresses, Grandma and i made a pattern from newspaper and part of one of the prom dresses and made my wedding dress. Then made my girls clothes. I took up crocheting for years but finally got upset after the last afghan i made. It was special made for the man i finally found to love. He was 6ft 9 so the afghan was 6ft wide by 81/2ft long. Took me months to make it and when i finally finished it he passed away from cancer. So that killed my afghan making and needed to fill the void. I had bought a $3000 sewing machine that does everything but the laundry (bummer) but was scared to death if it. I also had acquired about $2000 worth of fabric and decided to start quilting. I got out the scary machine and finally got it set for the stitch i needed and now im sewing. It embroiders too but im too scared. Heck the thing has like 250 stitches( like who needs that many) and does a button hole by itself, threads the needle and cuts the thread. My machine hooks up to a box that will hold a memory card and any embroidery pattern i can get ,,it will make. Om disabled and sit around all day and get bored with tv. I have a tiny tiny apt but i got a 6ft table that folds in half to cut and sew on and my breakfast bar with a tabletop ironing board is the ironing station. Now i have like 5 quilts "planned" and yet to finish one. Yup i get bored easily and move to the next before i finished one thing but good news i do eventually go back lol, Some days im in bed but when i fel good i sew or cut or go online and save lotsa patterns. Ok im hooked. Ok that was long and boring but explains it! Enjoy everyone!!

My Gramma taught me to quilt when I was about 12. Lost interest (Boys) until after she was gone, and I can still hear her telling me to "rip it out" Never let me get by with a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gal
    I don't really know, all I know is that even as a very young girl I always new that one day I wanted to make quilts when I had the time to learn the skills.

Gal
    I started to quilt when I was 20 tried the hex's hand sewing and it cured me of wanting to quilt for 42 years then I bought the kitten panels to make trophy's for a cat show didn't have the time to do it so I was left with the panels that was when I decided to start quilting, I made my GD her first quilt cot size then started on my queen size, took a little detour and made mums lap quilt, finished my quilt and was well and truly hooked,
    I have always loved sewing and made most of my 4 childrens clothes and most of mine so I guess it was inevitable that I would turn to quilting

I have to apologise to you all when I told you my friend was 96years old. I spoke to her today and she will be 91 in September and only started quilting when she was 76 . A friend took her along to a group meeting so she had some company after getting over her cancer operation, she was hooked. I always like to own up to my mistakes when I make them, I feel better for it. I hate to lie and let people think other wise. Sorry.

Back in '89, before cable in our house, GPB was one of the few stations we could get in the mountains. One Sat. morning I caught an episode of the Lap Quilting series, Georgia Bonesteel, and was hooked. Imagine sewing strips of fabric together, slicing, putting them back together and voila, a new design. So much fun. Before that day I had no interest in quilts, quilting is a way of life for me now. Have always liked garment, craft sewing, etc. now I see quilt possibilities everywhere.
    Met Georgia at our guilt's first show and feel privleged to have had the opportunity to chat with her, such a talented person.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I always wanted to learn. When I became disabled, I was so lost, I could not do anything with out pain. I found this quilt board one night, and read it for a couple months. I could not and still cant buy any sewing things, but some wonderful people with so much generosity, sent me fabric,batting,thread, books, a ruler, and even ink for my printer. so I could teach myself to quilt. This has helped me get through the toughest days. I even was sent a bow tuck purse, designed with a long handle, so I could use it with my walker, and have my hands free. and another lady sent me a shopping bag designed the same way. I have two patterns now. the bow tuck purse and the diamond quilt that dunster designed. I am waiting tell next year to make the diamond quilt, were I hope I can afford the jewele colored fabric.Everyone has been so wonderful and suportive. I have never meant so many wonderful people. It makes me cry when I get a suprize in the mail. There are so many wonderful quilt angels, and if it was not for them, I would not be able to learn to quilt at all. Thank you all so very much for your generosity and kindness. You are what keeps me going. God bless. Penny

It seemed to be a family tradition. My grandmothers and mother quilted. Not that I needed to carry it on but I do enjoy it. And it seemed homey thing to do. My Grandmother and Mother and my Mom's sister's would get together and set the quilt up on the frame and sit around it quilting and talking. It was nice.

I bought some flannel that had purple violets on it and had it for years. One day I saw flannel that would go perfect so I cut out squares and triangles and started to put them together not realizing I should have measured better. Anyway I finished it and hand quilted it. My cousin who is a first class quilter came to visit and I showed her with reservations. She just praised me to no end. Great cousin. Well she took me to a quilt shop and I got my first kit with charms. I did the quilt and it came out nice. When she came back to visit in the fall I had finished two more lap quilts. I got the bug. That was 3 years ago. She has passed a year now from cancer but taught me a lot and when I have a problem I look up and say help. I have joined a class and block of the month classes at a LQS which is great. My husband just passed from cancer and while he was sick quilting was my savior and it has helped now. It is a great way to relax, forget for awhile and have something totally beautiful to share.

I started quilting in March when I found out that I was going to be a grandma. Since then the dike has burst resulting in 7 baby quilts, a dozen table runners, a growing fabric stash, and numerous quliting web sites. This is so much fun I should have started years ago.

I remember loving patchwork from the age of about 12, and had an unsuccessful attempt at learning it from a book back then. I dreamed for years of having a hand-pieced quilt on my bed! I made a couple of very basic quilts on the way - not proper patchwork. Then 2 years ago I visited a family friend who is a mad quilter, and she showed us some of her work and inspired me. I soon went and got started on a project which ended up becoming my wedding quilt. :o) Now I'm hooked and already passing on what I've learnt to my stepdaughter!

My great grandmother made quilts and they always facinated me. Fortunately, I have 3 of her quilts- likely done in the 1920's and 30'ws

My great grandmother made quilts and they always facinated me. Fortunately, I have 3 of her quilts- likely done in the 1920's and 30's

I always wanted to quilt since my grandmother did when I was a small child. She died when I was 8 and I never got a chance to learn. I sewed dance costumes for my 3 daughters when they were young. Still thinking someday when I retire I will quilt. About 2 1/2 years ago, I quit my job and needed something to do. My daughter said she would like to see me take a quilting class and make my grandson a t-shirt quilt of his baseball teams. I have made 2 other quilts and have many in progress. I am waiting for a few more t-shirts from Tyler to make him a quilt. Tyler is 14 1/2 now. Another work in progress. Quilting has helped me tremendously after losing my sister to cancer at 67 yrs Feb.08 and my mother at 91 yrs back in April 2010. I took care of my mother when she broke her hip and she died 6 months after from her breast cancer that had returned and spread to other organs. She died very peacefully Thank God and fast. I love......... to quilt.

Nancy, have you thought of using T-shirts from your grandson's favorite teams as well as his own. There should be other people who have them, who would be willing to give the T-shirts so you can finish the quilt before he turns 21. Maybe do it for his 12st. It would be a great surprise to see his favorite teams all together in a quilt.

Blog Entries
    I used to make all of my own clothes and the clothes for the "boys" who are now grown men. Then got away from sewing and spent years (and years) crocheting.

I've crocheted about everything a person can crochet and everyone I know has a few afghans, many doilies, thread tablecloths (I LOVE working with thread) and my DGD had an entire baby wardrobe including Christening gown of thread, all hand made by grandma. I still just love the craft, but come on................. what else is left to make?

I wanted to try quilting for a few years, and just delved into it. I'm having so much fun.

AND..... you should have seen the look on my son's face when I gave him a crib quilt for the new baby out of FABRIC instead of yarn. What a hoot.

So............. a quilting I will go.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy O.
    Quilting has helped me tremendously after losing my sister to cancer at 67 yrs Feb.08 and my mother at 91 yrs back in April 2010. I took care of my mother when she broke her hip and she died 6 months after from her breast cancer that had returned and spread to other organs. She died very peacefully Thank God and fast. I love......... to quilt.
    Oh, Nancy, I am so sorry for your losses. I too lost the man who raised me, my sister, and my job all in a 7 week period. It's so hard to go through. I feel for you. May God bless.

Have you crochet clothes for a 2inch doll? Full dress, panties and a bonnet, I have. Like you I did a lot of crocheting doll clothes all sizes and had to get away from it for a while. I love needle turn applique but am now trying machine Applique to finish quilts that are backing up.

Quote Originally Posted by Annya
    Nancy, have you thought of using T-shirts from your grandson's favorite teams as well as his own. There should be other people who have them, who would be willing to give the T-shirts so you can finish the quilt before he turns 21. Maybe do it for his 12st. It would be a great surprise to see his favorite teams all together in a quilt.
    Thanks Anna for your ideas. I am hoping to get it finished in the next year. By 21 yrs old he will probably be almost due for a wedding quilt. I better get busy.

My aunt got me started in high school with a quilt, which i was hand sewing, i didn't take to the hand sewing, i started machine quilting when i was about 21 and have been doing it since, as well as small projects like bags, table runners and gifts. Hopefully i will get to pass it to my daughter when she gets older.

I got started in 2004, thanks to my Dear aunt, mom and daughter. My aunt found out that she had lung cancer and passed away within two months.
    When I had gone through my divorce ten years previous, I had moved in with my mom across the states. My aunt had never driven before and after she became widowed, my mom would pick her up on Friday nights afte work to take her shopping. When me and my three children moved in with mom, we went with them. We would take her to Joann Fabrics to buy fabric and she would buy bunches and quilted like crazy! I was envious of the fabric cause I hadn't been sewing any clothes in years. My mom and aunt kept telling me I should quilt and of course I said no. She passed away from cancer in 2004 and I decided I was going to learn to quilt (mom did too). So, with mom being in Indiana and me in Montana, we constantly were on the phone and emailing pictures to each other and taught ourselves to quilt!
    My first quilt I signed on the back "inspired by Aunt Shirley and encouraged by Mom and Deandra"...
    It was cut out with scissors cause I had never heard of a rotary cutter! I thought pinwheels just had to be half-sqyare triangles....didn't know about the light/dark thing, so they look nothing like they should! It was a scrap quilt, but the most-loved one I have ever made! I made it mainly with clothing scraps from clothes and curtains and such that I had made for my kids over the years. I had quilted it and used a ton of stencils....but I love it!
    Since then, I have made well over fifty quilts and tons of purses and other things!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast