View Single Post
Old 08-03-2010, 05:12 AM
Ms. Shawn

Originally Posted by candlequilter
Originally Posted by janedee
I started when my eldest daughter was very ill with an eating disorder (she is now much better) and after 18 months needed some 'me' time so enrolled on a beginners course and lost myself in a quilt!! I still find it very theraputic and my quilts hold many emotions in the stitches :-)
Glad to hear that your daughter is doing better and hopefully will continue. I know what you mean about quilting being theraputic. After my dad past away on Christmas Eve I just felt so lost because I had been spending so much time with him the last few months he had and that was one reason I bought my longarm. Then I met a lady that does alot with the American Hero Quilts and I ask if she could use some help. As I was quilting the first American Hero quilt I felt so close to my dad and I knew that I could do something to honor him and make him feel proud of me. So I committed to quilting 82 of the American Hero quilts before what would have been my dads 82nd birthday. I did 82 quilts in 49 days. Each and every quilt that I did brought me a little further thru my grieving process I guess you might say because I thought of dad almost the whole time I was doing each one. I thought of all the men and women who have devoted so much of their time and sometimes there lives to protect people they don't even know. I am very proud of my dad for serving in the Korean War and my daughter for serving 9 years in the Navy and all the other countless people who have done the same. Even know as I type this the tears are flowing but I know that the quilting has helped me alot thru losing my dad. I really have to thank my son for encouraging me to invest in my longarm at a time that I felt so lost. He really understands me. I am very blessed.
Hey CandleQuilter, Yes are very blessed indeed!!! :mrgreen: I am very sorry about your Dad and know how you feel! :cry: I lost my mom to cancer March 12 one month before her 65 Birthday on April 12! :cry: It is so very hard to deal with at times but I think God everyday for the time that I did have with her and that now she is not suffering anymore pain!!! :D Why did I start to qult? I have always wanted to learn to sew which I did in high school. After school I was never able to purchase a sewing machine. I went on to be married with one son, got ride of that husband real fast he abused me very badly. Secound DH passed away from 2nd heart attack at age 44, I was 25 ( I like older men, don't have to raise them) and 4 weeks pregnant with our 2nd son my 3rd. Then I met my daughters dad and did not mary him(good thing). Now I am married to my 3rd and last DH for 1and 1/2 years. For my first Mothers Day with him he bought me my first sewing machine!!! :thumbup: :-P I was soooo happy and started sewing only pillows and baby blanket, those I did without any problem and no pattern. I decided then that I finally was going to make my dream of Quilting and sewing come true!!! :mrgreen: I am now finally doing my first quilt as you know and lovin every min. of it. I will hopefully be able to take lessons soon so that I can watch someone that know's what they are doing!! This is a dream of mine that I intend to take all the way and Will with the next 5 years own and operate my own Quilting and Craft Store with a daycare center for employee's!!! (sorry to go on and on) CandleQuilter YOU are a HERO yourself for doing all of the HERO Quilts that you did for others!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :thumbup: You and All of the other board members are all HERO'S in my book for doing what you do for all others and yourself!!! You all have inspired me to not give up my dreams and to forward and just do what I believe I should!! :mrgreen: With Love and Admiration to you all!!! :shock: :mrgreen: :thumbup: Ms. Shawn