Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Why did you start quilting

I remember helping my DGM paint animals on squares and she put other blocks with these for a quilt(I have this quilt) and having her teach me to sew on a Treadle machine. I used to make some of my clothes, then my children's clothes and even some of my DD's dance costumes. Life got VERY busy with four children and seven grandchildren and I only mended for some time. I went on disability and my DH & I relocated from IN. to FL. and I was an empty-nester(what a different life completely). My DM had been quilting since her DM passed and inherited all of her UFO's, WIP's and stash. She felt like I needed something to keep me busy to deal with being an empty-nester and the rest is HISTORY. I haven't looked back and Happily curse her every time I talk to or see her,LOL!! She has even gotten my two sisters into quilting and we all live in different states. I've never taken a class and ALL I've learned has been from my DM, books, TV shows, and this GREAT BOARD!!! I'm now trying to get my DD interested in quilting, but it may be my 3yr. old DGD that is more interested.

I'm not sure why.

I've always admired quilts and envied those who make such beautiful items. But I've also always been worried about my ability to execute such items (a nasty streak of perfectionism).

This spring, I found directions for a Rag Quilt and thought that sounded like a neat way to quilt without having to worry about the accuracy (Um - Nope - Accuracy in seams, cutting, etc. is still a good idea). The more I read about quilting, the more intrigued I got. Then I found this board and learned about Harriet Hargrave's Quilters Academy series.

Now I'm hooked.

Cheers, K

I learned how to sew in my teens and always had a machine, made mine and my daughters clothes years ago, whenever I would see a quilt I always told myself you should learn to do that. So I took a class and the rest as they say is history. I am totally hooked and find it very relaxing. :)

I started sewing at the age of 5, tried quilting during my teen years, but didn't really like it. I discovered Paper Piecing in the summer of 2008 while looking for an airplane pattern. Sad events occured, but I got hooked on pping and have been doing quilts off and on ever since! Right now I'm very interested in miniature pieces!

I had wanted to quilt for years. My DG made some beautiful quilts and I'd always admired others. Time, children, work kept me from quiting. I made a decision that as soon as my youngest graduated from hs and went to college that I would sign up for the first class available. That was 2009 and I've had a project going ever since!

Banned
    I got into it with my cousins bright idea of hey you know how to sew clothing, make my sister a quilt 10 years ago. I did it with scissors, no walking foot and poly batting, but somehow turned out a product the new mommy loved.

I got into again 4 years ago when the population boom hit our family with 9 new babies in one year. My quilts were all 4 in blocks with no set pattern. I finally decided to take a class, and it is now a very serious hobby. Hubby likes this hobby better than other love of flying or skydiving.

my gm taught me to sew on a treadle that had been electrified[?] but could never get past hemming dish toels 'cause i couldn't sew a straight seam ! years later my si & i started making baby clothes[babies aren't as picky about straight seams]we really progressed to making clothes until the girls wouldn't be caught DEAD i "homemade" stuff !made lots of mens shirts even a liesure suit for dh!then bf turned me on to quilting...made several q-size ,one or two of qayg.dh bought me a fantastic new machine,top of line,also tol serger.made one qquilt when he died unexpectadly [sp]6 mo later. couldn't bring myself to even turn them on for 10 yrs !!but bf kept egging me on ,& new bf is so encouraging that i started again !have made 2 q-size & 3 baby in the last 6 mo !!! don't know how i got thru the last 10 years w/o quilting,saves mysanity.sorry this is so long ,,,dar

Thankyou for sharing such a painful time with us I can't begin to understand how you must feel as I still am blessed with both my parents but I am sure your Dad would be incredibly proud of you for your courage and perserverance with your project.
    Quote Originally Posted by candlequilter
    Quote Originally Posted by janedee
    I started when my eldest daughter was very ill with an eating disorder (she is now much better) and after 18 months needed some 'me' time so enrolled on a beginners course and lost myself in a quilt!! I still find it very theraputic and my quilts hold many emotions in the stitches :-)
    Glad to hear that your daughter is doing better and hopefully will continue. I know what you mean about quilting being theraputic. After my dad past away on Christmas Eve I just felt so lost because I had been spending so much time with him the last few months he had and that was one reason I bought my longarm. Then I met a lady that does alot with the American Hero Quilts and I ask if she could use some help. As I was quilting the first American Hero quilt I felt so close to my dad and I knew that I could do something to honor him and make him feel proud of me. So I committed to quilting 82 of the American Hero quilts before what would have been my dads 82nd birthday. I did 82 quilts in 49 days. Each and every quilt that I did brought me a little further thru my grieving process I guess you might say because I thought of dad almost the whole time I was doing each one. I thought of all the men and women who have devoted so much of their time and sometimes there lives to protect people they don't even know. I am very proud of my dad for serving in the Korean War and my daughter for serving 9 years in the Navy and all the other countless people who have done the same. Even know as I type this the tears are flowing but I know that the quilting has helped me alot thru losing my dad. I really have to thank my son for encouraging me to invest in my longarm at a time that I felt so lost. He really understands me. I am very blessed.

I learned to sew when I took Home Ec since my mother couldn't even sew on a button. I loved sewing and begged for a sewing machine. I was given an old machine with a long bobbin and a rickety old card table to put it on. My mother knew me too well and was sure this would be like my other plans--soon forgotten. Instead I made school clothes that took me through high school and college. I sewed lots of really cute clothes for my daughter after she was born. I never made a quilt, though.

When my daughter was herself pregnant, we decided to make a baby quilt. Our biggest problem was 1/4 inch seams. We didn't agree on what 1/4 inch was so nothing matched up. We spent a lot of time with seam rippers. I swore I'd never make another quilt, and I didn't for years. I did macrame, knitting, crochet, needlepoint, counted cross stitch and other crafty things. Then I met another puppy raiser who showed me all the quilts she had made. I figured if she could, so could I. That was about 10 years ago, and I'm hooked.

I've been a life longer sewer and then got into machine embroidery. I have a friend who is a digitizer and when she first started I did some beta testing for her. I sewed out her designs on denium squares. At one point I bought a machine from a friend and she said "you should quilt, you would love it!". My words - "Not me, I'd never be able to do a 1/4" and be that precise!" While squaring up the embroidered blocks, they got smaller and smaller. I didn't know how to square up - so I decided a quilt class would teach me rotary cutting & squaring. OMG, my life has never been the same. My first baby quilt was given to a niece who got real emotional - she said "Aunt Judi, Ian was going to be the only child in our family who didn't have a quilt made for him. (Her grandma had baby quilts made, and she died just months before Ian's birth)" I've made many, many baby quilts since then and actually quilt more than I embroider now. My denium quilt got made and I put it in a raffle to make some money for a family member. It was very well received.
    Judi in Ohio

Blog Entries
    Years ago when I was sewing clothes for my kids I noticed that I had a lot of good sized scraps left. So I got the idea to save them for quilts. My first one was a 9-patch which I still have. Even though I don't use it anymore because it's pretty worn it brings back memories of all those clothes I sewed for my kids and some for myself.

I had a stained glass business in the early 80's and when I hung up my tools I picked up fabrics. My best friend in high school gave me a quilt she made for me in 1975 and since then I wanted to learn how to quilt. A few years ago I sent her pix and she was pleasently shocked at what I am doing in quilting. That made me feel so good. She unfortunatly does not quilt any more :? .

My depression was getting worse with anxiety and I needed something to concentrate on so I took a machine quilting class and started sewing again. I love it and it has help quite a bit. I feel like I am doing something useful again and my creative side is once again coming out.

Quote Originally Posted by CorgiNole
    I'm not sure why.

I've always admired quilts and envied those who make such beautiful items. But I've also always been worried about my ability to execute such items (a nasty streak of perfectionism).

This spring, I found directions for a Rag Quilt and thought that sounded like a neat way to quilt without having to worry about the accuracy (Um - Nope - Accuracy in seams, cutting, etc. is still a good idea). The more I read about quilting, the more intrigued I got. Then I found this board and learned about Harriet Hargrave's Quilters Academy series.

Now I'm hooked.

Cheers, K
    Can you tell me more about that program?

I just got into quilting because I have always admired them, and i have been afraid to try it (perfectionism). I went through a realloy hard time past year, and part of the result of that is facing a major life change. I decided it was time to face some of my fears, incluing going on a diet program, and part of the "new me" is trying new things, which is very hard for me. I have found wodnerful support here, and I have even been adopted by one of th eladies here who shares my birthdya (we are one year apart exactly!) I am so so lucky. The Lord sends help when we need it!

Blog Entries
    I was 63 when our first grandchild was born and I was thinking that perhaps I wouldn't be around for our great grandchildren, so I decided to make a baby quilt (actually it is coverlet size) for each one of the grandchildren to use for their children. I embroidered blocks and then my mother taught me about sashing, the border, the backing, the batting and the binding. The quilts are wrapped up safe and sound and tucked away for the day my grandchildren have their first child. And from that point on, I have been quilting - some hard, some easy, some more fun than others, but so rewarding. Edie

The bug bit me when my DH came home from the landfill (at that time you had to haul your trash--no pickup) with an old tattered quilt. He wanted to use it for grease rags in his shop. I washed it and it was so pretty under all that grime that he didn't get it. I started searching for the pattern name and have been hooked ever since. The quilt turned out to be a Sawtooth. Found an identical one in a museum in Kansas. Have always thought I would reproduce it but after 44 years still haven't, but I still have the quilt. Bonus is he cannot complain about anything quiltie because HE started it all. grin

Two ladies in our church have quilted for years and started up a quilting/sewing group. We call ourselves "The Slap Happy Baptist Threaders" - I just love the name! :) I joined and fell in love with quilting right away. I started making my first quilt - a rag quilt - right after our first meeting. I've made 10 quilts since then. They may not always be perfectly straight, but they are definitley done with a lot of love!

I had sewed for my children for years but then I bought an embroidery machine and started making memory quilts. Each person got 12 blocks of their choice like their dog, sport, children's names with a picture. It was like a 4 patch in-between. That got me hooked on quilting. Now I rarely make the memory quilts but I have really gotten into making all kinds of scrap quilts. I belong to a strip club that meets the first 2 Wednesdays of the month. We make a strip quilt every other month. I really love it.

I have always been crafty and have a lot of energy. I think I've done a little of every craft - including pottery and leather tooling. My biggest passion used to be crochet, but after doing it for so many years --- I got bored. I had quilted on and off over the years, but after I found the QB with all the advice and inspiration, I took up quilting full-time and have sold off all the other craft supplies I used to have.

walmart got me ! i worked in fabric dept. and people would buy cloth & i asked what they were making. most of the time it was a quilt. so i collected fabric(quilt of the month)for about 7 yrs. then a friend helped me to cut out my first quilt. i have quilted 5 or 6 quilts and i have about 8 more pieced. i have been quilting for 3 or 4 years now.i like cutting and piecing the most. i have one for my son in the frame and hope to finish it for his birthday on aug.16. am retired now and only sew when i want to and health problems permit, which is a little everyday

I backed into quilting by way of sewing clothing (nurtured by my grandmother who made all her own clothes), making dolls and stuffed animals, and doing home dec projects. My first "quilting project" was actually making four large patchwork pillows (using the lone star pattern) for friends who were getting married. The pillows came out great and were a huge success (this was back in the early 70s) and I've quilted on and off since then.

I first started in high school, just cutting squares from fabric left over from dress I had made. then sort of got busy with college and life. I joined the air force in 1985 and moved to Nebraska. I took a quilt top of my grandmother's to the local quilt shop to see if someone would quilt it and the woman who ran the shop insisted I do it myself since it was a family heirloom. Been hooked since and have since gotten my mother to quilt as well.

I started quilting while in college. I was in design school, and needed another outlet for creative energy; to be away from the books and school pressure, and to find some "me" time.

My first quilt was for my then boyfriend (later to become my husband), with the patient guidance of a women whom I worked with on campus and who was an experienced quilter.

I was hooked, and have been quilting on and off while working as an art director, holding down my own freelance business, marrying and starting a family, and buying a home (a project in itself).

Quilting is still one of my favorite artforms...

Quote Originally Posted by candlequilter
    Quote Originally Posted by janedee
    I started when my eldest daughter was very ill with an eating disorder (she is now much better) and after 18 months needed some 'me' time so enrolled on a beginners course and lost myself in a quilt!! I still find it very theraputic and my quilts hold many emotions in the stitches :-)
    Glad to hear that your daughter is doing better and hopefully will continue. I know what you mean about quilting being theraputic. After my dad past away on Christmas Eve I just felt so lost because I had been spending so much time with him the last few months he had and that was one reason I bought my longarm. Then I met a lady that does alot with the American Hero Quilts and I ask if she could use some help. As I was quilting the first American Hero quilt I felt so close to my dad and I knew that I could do something to honor him and make him feel proud of me. So I committed to quilting 82 of the American Hero quilts before what would have been my dads 82nd birthday. I did 82 quilts in 49 days. Each and every quilt that I did brought me a little further thru my grieving process I guess you might say because I thought of dad almost the whole time I was doing each one. I thought of all the men and women who have devoted so much of their time and sometimes there lives to protect people they don't even know. I am very proud of my dad for serving in the Korean War and my daughter for serving 9 years in the Navy and all the other countless people who have done the same. Even know as I type this the tears are flowing but I know that the quilting has helped me alot thru losing my dad. I really have to thank my son for encouraging me to invest in my longarm at a time that I felt so lost. He really understands me. I am very blessed.
    Hey CandleQuilter, Yes are very blessed indeed!!! :mrgreen: I am very sorry about your Dad and know how you feel! :cry: I lost my mom to cancer March 12 one month before her 65 Birthday on April 12! :cry: It is so very hard to deal with at times but I think God everyday for the time that I did have with her and that now she is not suffering anymore pain!!! :D Why did I start to qult? I have always wanted to learn to sew which I did in high school. After school I was never able to purchase a sewing machine. I went on to be married with one son, got ride of that husband real fast he abused me very badly. Secound DH passed away from 2nd heart attack at age 44, I was 25 ( I like older men, don't have to raise them) and 4 weeks pregnant with our 2nd son my 3rd. Then I met my daughters dad and did not mary him(good thing). Now I am married to my 3rd and last DH for 1and 1/2 years. For my first Mothers Day with him he bought me my first sewing machine!!! :thumbup: :-P I was soooo happy and started sewing only pillows and baby blanket, those I did without any problem and no pattern. I decided then that I finally was going to make my dream of Quilting and sewing come true!!! :mrgreen: I am now finally doing my first quilt as you know and lovin every min. of it. I will hopefully be able to take lessons soon so that I can watch someone that know's what they are doing!! This is a dream of mine that I intend to take all the way and Will with the next 5 years own and operate my own Quilting and Craft Store with a daycare center for employee's!!! (sorry to go on and on) CandleQuilter YOU are a HERO yourself for doing all of the HERO Quilts that you did for others!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :thumbup: You and All of the other board members are all HERO'S in my book for doing what you do for all others and yourself!!! You all have inspired me to not give up my dreams and to forward and just do what I believe I should!! :mrgreen: With Love and Admiration to you all!!! :shock: :mrgreen: :thumbup: Ms. Shawn

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast