Old 08-06-2010, 09:18 AM
Bev

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Originally Posted by Bev
Really hot here in n.central Fl.
We're used to hot summers too, but this is the most awful! The humidity makes it much, much worse!
I recently went to Northern Italy to visit my son and his family. They were suffering with the hottest heat wave in years. But here's the worst part, there was NO air conditioning there anyplace! Not in the house, not in the stores, not even in the hospital! I thought I'd suffocate with the heat before I got home to lovely, air conditioned, Florida. Here, in this kind of heat, we go from air conditioned car to air conditioned store, and back to air conditioned home. It's sort of like up north in the winter with the heating. 8-)
There are not window units sold there? You know the travel brochures don't tell you these type details.
:shock:
I didn't think to ask about window units, but I know that most people have fans. They seem to be made of sturdier stuff than I am though. They mostly just make do and try to ignore the heat. I didn't hear a whole lot of people complaining. Of course there was ME! I complained when I couldn't sleep at night. That's the part that really gets you down.
Y'know, thinking about window units, the little town where my family lives is extremely old. They have a few newer homes, but most are the older ones. I recall that when my son turned the fans on in the bedrooms, and then my DIL turned on the washer, everything went out! My son had to do something with the electrical box. Probably the wiring in the old homes can't really handle anything heavy duty. 8-)