View Single Post
Old 08-13-2010, 10:33 AM
dixiechunk

I soooo want to ignore this thread and just not read it but I am drawn to it like a fly to...well...a pail of dirty mama cloths! It has been quite interesting and informative. Never heard of diva cups or mama cloths and thankfully never HAD to use them, and it would most certainly have been an absolute necessity for me to even consider it. It's not that I'm prudish and I never got into all the euphemisms about menstruation, I'm not afraid or embarassed to say vagina, breasts, penis...you get the point. But our ancestors were mostly pregnant after they reached puberty, stayed pregnant or nursing, and died usually before they reached menopause. Our grandmothers and great-grandmothers (if they weren't in the same position as our ancestors) didn't have disposable pads, they HAD to use rags and such. And IMHO cloth diapers is a whole 'nother issue. Babies HAVE to wear diapers 24/7 for a couple of years or more, I would expect the issue of comfort to be important. I used cloth diapers for my son 33yrs ago. Menstrual cycles seldom last more than a week and todays shaped, self-stick pads are a lot more comfortable than yesteryears' rectangular pads and sanitary belt combination. No need to ask me how I know, I'll tell you I've been there and done that. If you ever HAD to use the sanitary napkin/belt comb you probably think todays pad selections are a vast improvement, if you never HAD to use them today's choices are probably an archaic torture. It's all a matter of perspective.
BTW, ya'll may be interested in reading the book "The Red Tent". Okay, now I'll sit back and wait for the next postings.