View Single Post
Old 08-19-2010, 05:17 PM
Rhonda
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JoanneS
We have 2 autistic grandsons - ages 9 and 11. Contrary to what we've heard about autistic people, the younger boy DOES lie, and he intentionally hurts the dog and his brother - who doesn't stand up for himself. We have to keep an eye on him constantly.

On the other hand, he is making wonderful academic progress. When his IED (academic plan for next year)was finalized, we were told that he will be on track to graduate from typical high school, NOT special ed hs, if he's successful with this IED. He's going to be one busy boy next year, but that's what he needs. He was bored WAY too much last year, and that led to a LOT of acting out.

His older brother is sweeter - but he's pre-pubescent and that's creating new problems. He's so big physically that it's becoming more and more difficult for his mom to deal with him when his dad (my DS) isn't home. He was weaned off all his meds during the spring, but he'll probably have to go back on some to control his self-abuse when he can't make himself understood - and other intolerable behaviors that have resurfaced. It's hard to balance med positives and negatives.
Joey Sara's oldest is 11 and he has ausbergers. He hasn't been diagnosed officially because he was already on meds for the symptoms. So when she tried to get him diagnosed the dr didn't see the symptoms because he was on meds! Catch 22. but he so much has the social problems and ADHD and he has ticks. He does lie when he thinks he will be in trouble. Zach doesn't understand what a lie is. So he is very literal and can't think the way it takes to lie. Thanks goodness. He has picked up some bad habits from Joey and Rachel tho. He has been not so nice to my dog but I still don't feel it is meant meanly. He was inspectiing Molly who is a med size dog and he was bending her leg back in a way it shouldn't go!! so I do watch him around the dogs and any smaller children. His is more not understanding that he is hurting. Tho he does know to stomp on your foot to get you to move because he learned that one from Rachel!!

Every one's situation has things that are alike and things that are differant. I hope your youngest DGS learns that lies are wrong!! I feel for you Joanne!

My youngest son was very good at lieing to get out of trouble. He lied before he would tell the truth. Hopefully he doesn't do that so much now. He is 32 now. We were told he had a learning disability and looking back and looking at him now I am pretty sure he has auspergers. He is not comfortable in social situations. He has ocd. I always called him my black and white kid. He needs routine and things to stay the same to be able to cope. With him it is either right or wrong no in between. he told me recently when he goes to a restaurant he rearranges the little salt and pepper packets or sugar packets etc. He has to line them up evenly or stack them evenly. He had a hard time in school tho he always tried really hard. He has one twin son that I am afraid is going to follow his footsteps and have a hard time in school. Tho as Mom Angie had him tested they didnt find anything that they felt he wouldn't grow out of. But we see signs of maybe ausbergers. Sara and I and Angie have been watching him since birth and are aware that there may be struggles along the way. He starts first grade this month. The other twin is highly motivated to learn and is a lot more skilled at learning and wants to learn. The differance had caused problems between the boys which I hate to see. I hope they can resolve them and stay close as they get older.