View Single Post
Old 08-21-2010, 10:05 AM
Pati- in Phx

Originally Posted by marymild
Have you noticed when you tell people you quilt, they want to know if you will do their mending for them?
LOL I used to work as an Alterations Tailor. And have a degree in Clothing and Textiles. So I have been asked a lot. And I used to do alterations/repairs as a business. And I have sewed for others. But I state prices right up front.
Often the price of my work plus the cost of materials stops the conversation. <G>

I do make my own clothes, mostly. And my husband's shirts. When we got married he didn't own a tie because he couldn't find a shirt that he could button at the neck. (At the time he wore about a size 16 shirt but had a 19" neck. If he found a shirt with a large enough collar, the rest of the shirt was way toooooo big. )
So my mother-in-law never gave me any problems after we showed up for dinner one night and Rick was wearing a shirt and Tie.

I enjoy sewing. Love making almost anything. I do have to hem DH's pants most of the time..... finding 29" inseam pants is difficult. But I won't even replace zippers in his jeans. I can, but won't.

If it is fabric, I enjoy working with it. But not for other people any longer. But I will try to help explain things for others. Even had an article published in SEW NEWS magazine a couple of years ago.

Pati, in Phx