Old 09-10-2010, 03:18 PM
davis2se

My local WalMart stores closed their fabric sections all within the past year. I live in an area however (Sarasota/Bradeton) where there are several Hancocks and JoAnnes, as well as about 5 LQS shops within easy, easy driving distance. Truly, I don't miss the WalMart fabrics, but I know that those of you who are in areas where that was about the only fabric source seriously must. I will sign any petition to bring them back.

As far as fabric prices compared between LQSs and JoAnnes - HOLY COW. I spent 2 hours in an LQS today, and bought several different fabrics in severaly different lengths. My friend and I went to JoAnnes (Sarasota, FL) after leaving the wonderful LQS (Sew Worth It on Clark Rd ) and I was APPALLED at the prices. The awesome quilt shop quality fabrics at the LQS were significantly cheaper than many of the lesser quality fabrics at JoAnnes. I've seen concerns on this board a lot in the past year about the increase in fabric prices. From my experience the increase is mostly at the chain store fabric stores. Maybe THOSE are the ones that quilters should consider boycotting!!!