Old 09-28-2010, 08:23 AM
plainjane

Boy, do I feel like an expert here! I've been ther,done that and wrote the book (not litterally). There are definitely stages, all related to hormones. I had only one daughter. When she was younger, she just wanted to dress sloppy-thank goodness that passed quickly. Then makeup-I bought her clear mascara and pressed powder and told her to go to town with it! That practice helped when she began to use "color" later-but I always said "no death circles"-no heavy mascara or liners! When she was a senoir in HS, she was trying her "knowing everything". She didn't want me to be around when Flag Line uniforms were chosen-I always sewed everything and knew fit. I just said "I hope you get the most ill fitting uniform on the line, then" and regretfull, she did, I had to remake it. My DH said we needed something for commom ground, so I bought a piano book of duets! Well, we had to work together and we had a lot of fun! College was the turning point. She began to appreciate all of the things I did to take care of her, since I was not accessable 24/7. Once she began to like a young man that I didn't think was her type-Mind you, you can't say "you can't.."! I just said "You know, you will never date anyone else." After a few days, he was history! Another, I just said, "I don't know why, I just don't like him." Was dumped shortly. When she introduced my future SIL, I immediatelyl liked him and said so. He is the BEST SIL I could ever ask for! I usually would make statements that would made her THINK! DD appreciates me for all of the big and little thinkgs I did for her and wants me to do for the GD everything I did for her. Great peace and loving EVERY minute! Every stage has to be dealt with separately and this too, will pass.