Old 10-31-2010, 07:55 AM
blackiesmom

I learned to sew on my mom's Kenmore. In the sixties. She eventually bought a singer, and my first sewing machine was from Montgomery Wards. I got my first bernina in 1992, and I love it. I upgraded to another bernina, aurora 440 QE, but kept the other bernina, "just in case." I did not know that the feet were different, the connections are different. Of course I have lots of "old bernina" feet, that is the other reason I kept the old bernina. There is nothing wrong with it, I just can no longer lift it. It weighs 40 lbs as it is all metal. I figured I could use it if something happened to the new bernina. I found a thing, an adapter, that I am hoping will allow me to use the old feet on the new sewing machine. Maybe I will ask others here if they know of an adapter, in case what I ordered isn't what I thought it was.
I also have my "second" mom's sewing machine, and also a later model? of the feather weight. and of course, I had to get a Janome to take to classes, as I could not lift the other berninas. It is the 12 lb one and I love it.

I just built a new house and my sewing room is 24 feet by 20 feet. I am just now organizing it. I will post pictures when it gets done. I designed a sewing cabinet, and the cabinet maker built it. He made it match all the other cabinets in the house!!! It matches the built in cabinets he made. The table has a 6 foot pop up table on the front so I can use it for my go cutter or for using my small altos cutter. I have the big altos cutter and it will sit on top of a cutting table. I have arthritis that is a cousin of rheumatoid, so I can't cut well. I love my cutting toys, it lets me do what I want in spite of the arthritis. I found a cabinet with drawers that look like cd drawers. 28 individual drawers that I plan to put my far quarters into. I have them on the polar notions small wrappers and will color code them and alsoo categorize them into 30's, batiks, kids, dogs . . . It helps to have some OCD. I like labels. The only problem is that the wrappers are 1/2 too wide. So I am using a paper cutter to take 3/8 of an i nch off of the sides of the wrappers. Of course I have to do both sides so the things will not be lopsided. Did I mention OCD? Only 1200 cuts to make.

If anyone has any ideas for my room, please let me know. I also have three library card catalog sets of drawers to keep the sewing toys and supplies in. I repurposed old rusty book shelves that had book racks on them. We took the wire racks off the shelves and screwed them together and I placed them on a to granite bases with a lazy susan spinner in between the. (They were the cut outs for the bathroom sinks) I had to use something heavy to keep it from falling over with the books.

Now I can store lots of books in a small space that has a horizontal component. Only a little floor space taken up; go vertical is the advice of my friend Susan, the professional organizer. (perfectlyplaced.org) She is helping me, and she has an online part of her business. Virtual organizing!!! I am truly blessed. Since I moved 14oo miles from her, it is perfect. Please send me your ideas, I am still in the sorting and donating part of the process. My entire sewing room has been moved to the patio. I have an outside door in the sewing room that opens onto the new patio. Perfect for putting things on for the sorting process.

Should I put the threads on the wooden spooled racks and hang them on the wall behind my sewing cabinet. there is room between the end of the built in and the double window that is behind my sewing cabinet. Will they thread get too dusty, or should I hang the thread wooden caddies on the inside of the built in doors? Any other ideas??? Thanks for any input!!! katie