Thread: Thread question
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2010, 07:26 AM
quiltmom04

Originally Posted by Japonica
I am headed to my last quilting class :cry: and will ask this question there also but wanted to check with all you experts. what is the best type of thread? I don't have a machine that uses cone thread (would love to figure out a way to be able to use it though, less costly). This morning I was sewing together some blocks for a rag quilt tohone my non existent sewing skills and the thread keeps breaking off the needle after a while. I checked the tension, threading of the machine, etc., and all seem to be correct. My thread I am using a a quilting thread purchased at Joanns and it is Americana 100% Glaced Cotton. Does the "Glaced" have something to do with jamming my machune and breaking the thread? I so need a quilting mommy!!! :roll:
Look at the thread. It should be nice and smooth and lint free. If it varies in width - sometimes you need to unwind a bit - or has little slubs or sticking out fibers, move on and look for something else. Those 10 for $1 threads - you all know where they are - are really poor quality. Get a better quality for more consistent results.