Old 12-05-2010, 05:25 PM
nlgh

As a child, my mother started me embroidering. After a few years, I think I was about 12, Mother showed me some simple crocheting and I taught myself the rest of what I know. I would call me an intermediate level crocheter. In 1985, I learned to knit in a class and still knit a little. In 1997 I learned to tat, also in a class. It took me a week to get the stitch down pat. That is the hardest part of tatting--learning to do the double stitch. Tatting is no longer a grandmother's pastime. There are some new techniques that I haven't learned yet. Jewelry is being tatted now with beads and everything. I also did some macrame back in the 70's and early 80's until it went out of fashion. In 1979, I started working in my church's library and spent 30 years doing that. My grandmother started me on a 9-Patch quilt block when I was 13 or 14. While I was in college, she and my aunt put the quilt together and quilted it. That was the start of my interest in quilting. I collected materials and books and patterns until a friend started out class at church last year. I have yet to complete a pieced quilt. I did make a rag quilt for my grandson for his Christmas last year. I have also done a little bit of needlepoint. If only life didn't get in the way, I might do a bunch of things. Above all, my love of reading also started when I was a child and I read myself to sleep at night. I like crossword puzzles, jigsaw puzzles, sudoku, and other games with dominoes and cards.