Thread: Pay it Forward
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2010, 11:12 AM
sew wishful

As a young single mother of 3 kids, I had a really hard time financially, so on a couple occasions, a secret santa would leave gifts for my kids, for me to put under the tree from "Santa". I never knew who this was from, but vowed some day if I was ever in a position to help someone in the same position I would do it. Several years I've been fortunate enough to be able to do it. This year a mother of 5 told her children they would each get something in their stocking on Christmas day, but their "real" Christmas would be in April after she got her tax refund back. Imagine a 4 year old not having a gift under the tree, or an 8 year old going to school after Christmas with nothing to brag about. Our church family has adopted 3 families, 2 with kids, and an elderly couple who have more medicine to buy than funds so they are getting a food box.
When we questioned the first family with 5 kids to see what we could help with the mom said they need winter boots, gloves, hats. Along with those things we decided to give gifts to these kids, also.
I'm so grateful for the help extended to me way back when, that I'm honored to "Pay It Forward"! If you've ever been on the receiving end, you know what I mean.