Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pay it Forward >

Pay it Forward

Pay it Forward

Old 12-11-2010, 05:57 AM

I am sorry, but I do not understand what Pay it forward is. Can some kind person explain it to me please
Old 12-11-2010, 05:59 AM
Power Poster

Its when someone wants to do something nice for someone, with no strings, EXCEPT that the next person does something nice for another, same way. It started with a movie, I think!
Old 12-11-2010, 06:12 AM
Power Poster

Yes, there was a great movie called Pay it Forward. But on the board it's a random thing, meaning that if you got a package you don't have to run out and do the same thing that day, just sometime when you can.
Several members have sent things to others in different styles, one recently was to be sent to someone who wasn't getting a Christmas gift. There are all kinds of ways to do it.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:16 AM

A give that keeps on giving.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:43 AM

I didn't see the movie but I did read the book. It's by Catherine Ryan Hyde. The concept is what others have said -- let's say you do something nice for Person A. Instead of Person A paying you back, Person A pays it forward for doing something nice for Person B. And on and on.

Every so often you hear about someone at a toll booth who pays the toll for the car behind, who then pays it forward by paying the toll for the next car, who then pays the toll for the next car. That's a Pay It Forward chain.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:54 AM

The meaning does not necessarily mean "gifting" just a smile, a hello, a helping hand to a stranger may just make their day. You may not realize it but good deeds do come full circle whether we recognize it at the time or not.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:14 AM
pab

I like your philosophy of paying forward.It need not be a gift but rather just a good deed,a smile,a warm hello ,or just understanding someone else's plight. Thanks...pab
Old 12-11-2010, 10:57 AM

Yes, I love the concept...I've seen the movie and it was such a heart wrenching story.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:00 AM

here's an excerpt from the Pay It Forward Foundation:
Start a revolution--it begins with you!
The premise of the novel Pay It Forward is one that any person can implement in his or her own life, at any time. It begins with doing a favor for another person-- without any expectation of being paid back. Indeed one would request that the recipient of that favor do the same for someone else: ideally for three other people. The unconditional favors can be large or small. As the fictional 12-year-old Trevor observes, "It doesn't have to be a big thing. It can just seem that way, depending who you do it for."
Old 12-11-2010, 11:14 AM
Banned

When I was growing up in the country"Paying it Forward"was a lifestyle ..and also bartering. Thats kind of a lost art.(quilters still do it :))