Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pay it Forward >

Pay it Forward

Pay it Forward

Old 12-12-2010, 05:38 AM

I sometimes get the strangest looks in Hobby Lobby. If I can't find anything I need to use the coupon for. I will watch peoples carts and when I see something I think is probably really expensive, will ask if they have the discount coupon, if they say no, will give mine to them. Lots did not even know that there is a coupon. If they do not get the newspaper and do not have internet, they haven't a clue. Had one young gal tear up as she was buying an angel her Grandmother wanted so badly but couldn't afford. She said she really couldn't afford it either, but Grandma was not well and she really wanted that angel, and she just wanted to make her happy. She even gave me a big hug and thanked me.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:06 AM

My mother always made a hotdish for the new neighbors when they moved in their 'new home'. This was during the '60's when there wasn't Welfare. It was a chance to meet the new neighbors and welcome them to the neighborhood. Mom had 6 kids to feed and always wanted to do something nice for the new families. We've PIF'd throughout the years. It's a good feeling to do something for someone in need. Eiltcoq.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:33 AM

Our church is also have a "Pay it Backward" during the Christmas season. The idea behind it is when you are in a drive up getting a meal, ask to pay for the order in the car behind you. It's probably best to do it in a community where you know the kids behind the cash register. I'm in that type of small community and can trust them.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:34 AM

I pass on extra coupons at JoAnn's too. Last week there was a young man who was very appreciative of the 40% off coupon!
Old 12-12-2010, 06:56 AM

I found a poor lady sitting at walmart.She had sat there one day went to a homeless shelter for the night went back to walmart.She was waiting for her son to drive up from somewhere to pick her up.I felt like should do something for her,it wasn't much only five bucks.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
Yup, always carry extra coupons when I go into Hobby Lobby.

Also, anytime I go to the Department of Motor Vehicle to get my license renewed, and I have to "take a number", I always take 2 numbers...and then I watch for some unsuspecting person that comes in long after me, and give them the other number tag. The last person I gave one too, thanked me over and over...she had just come from the hospital trying to beat the clock and renew her license, and then had to rush back to the hospital. That made my heart smile so BIG to know that somehow, in the littlest way, I was able to help her out...and it didn't cost me a penny.
You could also just exchange your number with the person who is frazzled, then the people standing in line behind you won't get upset because of their time in line, just another thought.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:14 AM

Pay it Forward was a way of life for my Dad. He would never except pay for helping anybody. I remember once when we was on vacation him helping out a stranded family. We had just turned on the road to go to the Grand Canyon and stopped at the reststop. There was a family that their pickup had broke down. Dad helped the man figure out what was wrong. They needed parts to repair it. Dad unhooked our travel trailer and drove the man back to the nearest place they could get parts....about 60 miles one way. When they got back Mom had prepared lunch for both families. After lunch Dad helped the man replace the parts and get their pickup running. When the man pulled out his wallet and asked Dad what he owed him for helping....Dad replied, "Nothing....just the next time you see anyone in need of help....stop and help them....that will be my pay!".
Old 12-12-2010, 07:22 AM

Louisa.. that sounds just like my dad!! He was a gifted mechanic and often helped farmers locally who had broken down in a field and couldn't get the guys from the shop to come out on weekends or after hours.. and this was after he was retired and had had a couple of heart attacks!! and I too print extra coupons at Hobby lobby etc. I also use coupons at the grocery and if there are some I can't use I will leave them in the store with those items so someone else can use them. A manager saw me doing it one day and had a funny look on his face.. I asked to make sure it was OK.. he said "sure. I've just always wondered who did that."
Old 12-12-2010, 07:37 AM

Stupid Question? How does one send someone on this board a gift?
Old 12-12-2010, 07:53 AM

It is being in line at the groceries store and giving some change to the person in line in front of you that doesn't quite have enough money.

or sending a gift to someone on this site as a surprise.