View Single Post
Old 12-23-2010, 08:41 PM
tjradj

Originally Posted by Lisa
I want to thank everyone for your comments, they are very, very helpful. I should have mentioned that I have a Viking and I absolutely love it, it has "all" the features that I could ever ask for except......yep! The stitch regulator. It does have the plate for fmq but is has so many bad reviews I don't even want to consider it. It's true what some said about adopting someone else's machine, that's how I got my Viking. She is slowly approaching 20 years but you couldn't tell by how she sews. I already fmq on my Viking and I have done several quilts. My problem, I have a lead foot with my foot control and I get engrossed in what I'm doing and the next thing I know I'm speeding like a demon but I'm also losing stitch quality, the co-ordination of fmq and my foot going crazy gives me un-even stitches. Since I'm thinking about a new purchase I want to make sure I include a SR. You have all giving me good feedback to start my research and I appreciate it.
Ok, one last thing.....I love my little Sophie, she is precious, she looks so sweet and innocent and she has this deep-throated little voice (which kind of makes sense since she isn't always so so sweet! ha ha!!!) and Yes.....I do have a big stick!

I hope everyone has a great Christmas holiday!
There is a stitch regulator available from the Grace company that you attach to the carriage on a quilting frame and plug into the sewing machine. It senses how fast the carriage is being moved and adjusts the speed of the machine appropriately.
As for the adapter plate on a Husky/Viking, many quilters just take the feed dogs right out if all they use that machine for is quilting - freemotion or on a frame. There is only a screw holding them in. If it's never been adjusted, you will have to use a strong arm to get the screw loose. Then put the screw and the feed dogs in a small baggie and tape them to the underside of your machine so they don't get lost. Some have even hidden them inside the bobbin area.
If your machine does not have a speed regulator (my Janome has a sliding button that you set the max speed, then use the foot pedal) there are other ways to prevent "lead foot syndrome."
You can place an eraser between the foot pedal - between the pedal and the base, or if your foot pedal pushes down to the floor, tape the eraser to the bottom of the foot pedal so you can't push it down so far.
Never take "no" or "can't be done" for an answer.