View Single Post
Old 12-28-2010, 07:47 PM
JulieR

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
I'd never go back to a store that tears. I bought some fabric online one time that had been torn (didn't know it till I got it).....It was crooked. I tried like the devil to get it to straighten up. It didn't -- I lost about 1/8th yard.....

My mother gave me a quilt she'd started -- a log cabin. She'd torn the strips. The strips had stripes in some of them...the fabric did NOT stay on the "grain" -- or the design wasn't on the grain. So -- had she not torn it, she could have adjusted and had her stripes show up straight on the quilt.....(is that as clear as mud????)
I see what you're saying, but whether the store cut or tore the fabric you were still going to have to deal with a print that was not straight itself. Frankly I would probably have taken it back; how impossible to have to make all of your cuts "off" the correct fabric direction to get a proper vertical line!

I think we are all just a product of our experiences. I've lost loads of yardage over the years with cutting, and have never had a single issue with tearing, so my choice is clear. Anyone who has the opposite experience would surely have the opposite preference, and that's okay! :)