Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is this common ? >

Is this common ?

Is this common ?

Old 01-02-2011, 03:28 PM

[quote=patdesign]
Originally Posted by Jo Mama
Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
Tearing has never been an issue with me. I'm dating myself here but I remember when they ran the fabric through a devise that measured the yardage. Then there was a lever that was pushed which made a cut so the sales person could tear off the measured length. I also remember our sewing teachers having us pull on opposite ends of the fabric to straighten the grain. The goal was to have the torn edges and the selveges line up making as close to a right angle as possible. Only then could we cut out our pattern.
I remember it too, it was brown mounted on the counter and the person pulled it thru then when the numbers on the dial were right, it nicked the selvedge and the person TORE the fabric. Thing about tearing is that it gives you the appropriate yardage on the straight grain, and if you are washing and pre shrinking your fabric any way the distortion from the tearing will go away when washed and dried, and pressed. Yes there are a few strings, and if the fabric is not on the straight grain it can be pulled on the opposing diagonal to make it straight.
I think maybe a lot of the basics for fabric and sewing have been lost over the years as I understand many schools no longer have home ec classes which is where many gals were introduced to sewing. I feel more blessed every day to have come from a family of home sewers, 2 grandmas, 3 aunts, and mom.

:D
Oh MY Goondness!!! I was reading along and it seemed as if I could relate and then it hit me, I remember the little gadget on the edge of the table, pull the fabric thru it and the dial would measure out what you need. She would clip it and then rip!! Good Lord it's been so long ago and I remember...! I'm older than I thought I was! Thanks loads Ladies! HA! :P :lol: :-D
Old 01-03-2011, 10:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JulieR
Our LQS rips, too, on the idea that it's more accurate than cutting. I prefer it to be ripped, honestly, because I think they're right.
Too true, I always tear my fabric ,it separates the wheat from the chaff, was taught to tear to get the straight grain , the cheap stuff tears anyways and is AWFUL ,I hate it.