Old 01-01-2011, 02:12 PM
QuiltMania

"There is no common sense in the world anymore and the tenured teachers is absolutely ridiculous after only 3 years of teaching in most cases. Who has a job guaranteed for life with benefits like they do not matter how awful they are. Look at the thousands that sit in some room in New York and get paid for nothing with benefits because they can't get rid of them and won't dare assign them a class. There are so many stories like these and the taxpaper has to pay for idiots. The good teachers are so few and far between it is frightening."

Your facts on tenure are way off here. Tenure does NOT guarantee a teacher a job for life. Tenure only guarantees that the school district must follow due process in terminating a teacher. Those teachers sitting in the room in New York are waiting for their hearings to come up. I saw the same report you probably did and what you missed is that a student in that system only has to make an accusation and, with no evidence, the teacher is automatically removed from the classroom until a hearing.

There seems to be a belief in the general public that teachers and teachers unions have some immense amount of power. That just isn't the case. If it was, we would not be seeing some of the idiotic laws passed by lawmakers who have no clue of what teaching is like. Instead of all the sanctions being placed on the teachers I would like to see some sanctions placed on parents who just can't be bothered to participate in their children's education. I had 1 parent show up for open house. I have a kid (with no medical issues) who only comes to school once or twice a week. Obviously, she is behind academically but I have no power to do anything and, according to the state, her being behind academically is my fault and not due to the fact that she doesn't come to school.