View Single Post
Old 01-12-2011, 07:55 AM
moreland

Originally Posted by loopywren
I have had some advice from you but I just cannot have any success using fleece for the backing on a quilt when I machine it, it just stretches so much and goes out of shape.. I am sorry i cannot get the photos to load on to my laptop so cannot send one.. I normally hand sew everything but want to tackle and succed with the machine sometimes. Thank you in advance... I have tried spraying it with 505 and without. My tension is okay. I have used both a walking foot and a plain one.
I use fleece all the time and have had no problems, however, I do anchor well with spray basting and I do a minimum amount of quilting (machine). The fleece sticks to the top, it stays the same size through many washings, so I feel I only need to anchor it. I use a decorative stitch (one of the "connector" stitches) that stitches back and forth. On my Bernina Activa 130 it is stitch "18". On my
Elna 6600 it is "074". I have done dozens of these quilts in all sizes from twin bed to baby quilts and have had no problem. It is such an easy way to finish quilts, I hope you can get it to work for you, too. I do have better success with my Bernina than with the Elna--I am using the walking foot with both. The Bernina just seems to move the quilt through/under the foot better. Since I have the luxury of having a choice, I am blessed.
I do my quilting from the fabric side--fleece on the bottom. I leave my feed dogs up, BUT I am doing straight line quilting. I generally do not use any batting, but I do use the heavier fleece when possible. Some of the fleece is too thin to use without batting.