Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
fleece as backing query >

fleece as backing query

fleece as backing query

Old 01-15-2011, 03:50 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mirish2
I fill my fabric softner dispenser with the vinegar. There is no smell on the washed items. I also use this method on towels in the summertime, keeps mustiness away.
:P Thanks, I don't have a softner dispenser on the washer I use. I do have one of the balls that I use w/Downey. I'll try putting the vineger in that and see how it goes. Hope the vinegar doesn't react with the plastic.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:02 PM

My machine dispensor is plastic and I have used vinegar for years. My Maytag washer and dryer are about 15 years old--had to get new ones when my others died at about 28 years of age. Just an FYI--fabric softener actually reduces the amount of moisture that towels can wick away, as it coats the fibers. Also, my repair guy says, fabric dryer sheets eventually coat the sensors in your dryer and cause it to overdry items.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:30 AM

I did a fleece backed quilt for a Christmas gift. I had someone pull the whole thing slowle and evenly from the sewed side as I sewed and it worked fine.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:51 PM

Thanks, everyone....I've decided definitely not to use the fleece for batting.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:11 PM

that is weird ...I use fleece on all my quilts. I spray baste ( reg. stuff from Joanns) the top to the batting then the top and batting to the polar fleece ( I use the 100% polyester batting.low loft it sticks well and is cheap and very warm) to the top and the fleece) and I have no trouble with sewing it together. I stitch in the ditch and there is no stretching I have even used very stretchy fuzzy backing and it turned out fine...could it be the batting?? the quilts were only 62 X 62" though .
Old 02-27-2011, 12:41 AM

I use 100% polyester batting low loft and I have absolutely no problem sewing the top and batting and fleece together. I lay the batting down and and spray the top half(it is only 60"X 60"). I then take the half folded top and lay it on the unsprayed part and carefully lift the top and spread it out over the sprayed batting if there is a wri kle lift it up and smooth it out...repeat for second half. Next I donthe same only have the fleece on the bottom and sparyit and put the top and batting on it as I did the top and batting. I have no wrinkles and it is easy to sew.I only do SITD.and it turns out perect every time.