Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
fleece as backing query >

fleece as backing query

fleece as backing query

Old 01-13-2011, 09:58 AM

I've used fleece as backing without any problem......Having said that......I still used a layer of batting and then the fleece. I tied the quilts. They are very warm and cuddly.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:43 AM

I have used fleece a few times now as the backing and I use just a simple diagonal pattern in the quilting mainly, although I have done free motion on it also. I'm not sure why but I didn't have too many problems. I do give it a reasonable stretch when I lay it out and I pin heavily. I use it on quilts that are really used, like kids quilts so these aren't displayed as much and seen bunched up on a knees or sniggled under. It is just so warm I feel it is worth the effort.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:58 PM

I've used fleece on MANY baby quilts. I use adhesive to baste it to the top, and I don't use a backing. I stitch in the ditch from the center out to 'set' the 4 quarters first. Then I work from the centers out in each of the quarters. I haven't had a problem with stretching.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:57 PM

JoanneS, Just wanted to say your picture reminds me of my favorite aunt Dorene who passed away 2 years ago. She was very loved, she loved to laugh, and she was great to talk to. Seeing your picture makes me smile. Thanks,
Jeanie
Old 01-13-2011, 02:06 PM

Jeanie - I'm glad I made you smile!
Old 01-13-2011, 07:55 PM

I've successfully used fleece as a batting, sandwiched between cotton fronts and backs. As battings go, it's expensive, but the end result is an incredibly warm quilt!
Old 01-14-2011, 07:01 AM

I have a commercial lap robe which is a woven heavier fabric like pants weight cotton and a minky type back. It is machine stitched about every 8 inches both vertically and horizontally. It is the warmest wrap I have. So for the person who was wanting something warm, using minky might work.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:35 AM

I listened to the owner of Malden Mills as he talked about fleece. When washing you should use powdered detergent not liquid as the liquid contains surfectants which reduce the breathability of fleece. Do not use fabric softener as this eventually will build up and make the fleece feel stiff. Use white vinegar instead for softening and reducing static. NEVER put it in the dryer, except on air dry. These "rules" are repeated by Nancy Crowell in her books on fleece garment sewing. When sewing fleece use a slightly longer stitch, on my machine, bump up from the usual 2.5 to 3.0. There is no need for "close together" quilting lines as the fleece will not bunch like batting. I make many charity quilts this way. I do not use batting, there is really no need as the fleece does it all.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:39 AM
Power Poster

[quote=mirish2]I listened to the owner of Malden Mills as he talked about fleece. When washing you should use powdered detergent not liquid as the liquid contains surfectants which reduce the breathability of fleece. Do not use fabric softener as this eventually will build up and make the fleece feel stiff. Use white vinegar instead for softening and reducing static. NEVER put it in the dryer, except on air dry. These "rules" are repeated by Nancy Crowell in her books on fleece garment sewing. When sewing fleece use a slightly longer stitch, on my machine, bump up from the usual 2.5 to 3.0. There is no need for "close together" quilting lines as the fleece will not bunch like batting. I make many charity quilts this way. I do not use batting, there is really no need as the fleece does it all
:?: :?: Thanks . How much white vinegar? Does the smell wash out? Why not the dryer? I have a few fleece throws that I have washed with liquid laundry detergent and fabic softener and dryed on warm and they all seem to do fine. My grandchildren use them as pallets on the floor so they get washed quite a lot. But.............they are the experts so guess I'll change my ways. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:45 AM

I fill my fabric softner dispenser with the vinegar. There is no smell on the washed items. I also use this method on towels in the summertime, keeps mustiness away.