Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
fleece as backing query >

fleece as backing query

fleece as backing query

Old 01-13-2011, 03:57 AM

Hi
Have just backed a childs quilt with fleece (Windcheater fleece)and put the fluffy side out and I am really delight with the finished quilt my great niece should feel lovely and cosy..a number of my friends have used polar fleece as backing of their quilts and all have workd well..I know I put a lot of pins in the quilt and stitched from the centre out..
see if you can purchase a less stretchy fleece might do the trick, have another go
cheers Karinda :lol: :lol:
Old 01-13-2011, 04:46 AM

Quilt tops are 100% cotton and the backings should be the same. Fleece stretches and is not 100% cotton, it will not shrink like the cotton fabrics do.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:12 AM
Banned

I once quilted a couple of client's quilts with fleece for the backing, and it did work out, but there is always an issue with the stretchiness. It stretches less one direction than the other. The lady had pieced her fleece, and one half of the quilt was saggy and one half tight. I can usually "quilt it out", but still... kind of a pill to work with.

I have much better luck with minkee or cuddlesoft fabric, a low loft soft fur. I always mount it in the direction of the least stretch. It may be a different animal if you are quilting on your home machine...

I really would not recommend fleece as a backing again, especially if it is pieced.

brown fleece backing
[ATTACH=CONFIG]159360[/ATTACH]

black fleece backing
[ATTACH=CONFIG]159361[/ATTACH]

green cuddle soft backing
[ATTACH=CONFIG]159362[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-159355.jpe   attachment-159356.jpe   attachment-159357.jpe  
Old 01-13-2011, 07:35 AM

I have tried again on the baby quilt I am making, and none of my machines will quilt freehand on it. I really think it is the fleece this time, I have done it before on others and never a problem. Go figure, huh?? If a Juki won't sew it, nothing will, I suppose. Just finished tying it off yesterday and hand basted the border so I can, hopefully, get the binding on. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:43 AM

Never done this since I have a longarm and can quilt with fleece on the back (just need to watch stretching), but what about turning the quilt over and having the cotton top on the bottom and the fleece side up? Are you using a walking foot or darning foot to quilt with? I've heard that you are more successful using a darning foot with the feed-dogs lowered. Like I said, never quilt on my DSM so I'm just trying to think outside the box!
Old 01-13-2011, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Dicey
What about using fleece in place of batting on a quilt-as you-go quilt? I have a bunch of fleece blankets that have some charity's name on them so I don't want them to show but wondered if it would work as batting if cut in pieces.

Dicey
Dicey, consider dropping off the charity blankets at a police station, or give them to a policeman you see who is doing his paperwork in his car. They always seem to be appreciative. Many like to keep such in their trunk as comfort blankets for kids. Sierra
Old 01-13-2011, 09:00 AM
A

Flannel backing is my favorite; cotton muslin next. I am only a hand quilter though, so I'm sure that others have another opinion. I do not like using fleece at all - it gets wonky on you and then ... you're stuck! Just my humble opinion!
Old 01-13-2011, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by bearrynice
I have tried again on the baby quilt I am making, and none of my machines will quilt freehand on it. I really think it is the fleece this time, I have done it before on others and never a problem. Go figure, huh?? If a Juki won't sew it, nothing will, I suppose. Just finished tying it off yesterday and hand basted the border so I can, hopefully, get the binding on. Keeping my fingers crossed.
One thing that I found that helped was switching to a sz 14 needle for stretch fabric. This is what my Viking Sapphire recommended.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:26 AM

I used fleece for several different quilts I made for gifts with extraloft batting. It worked fairly well, but I hand tied the quilts - I did not try to machine sew or hand quilt, just tied the quilte every 6 inches - at the junctions of the blocks. Also, need a bigger binding than usual. Normally I use 2 1/2 inches, but for these quilts I made 3 1/2 inches.

One was for my husband and he loves the quilt. Carries it from room to room and it keeps him quite warm (It gets cold in New England and we keep the house at a balmy 66).

So yes you can use fleece, just need to modify how you plan on finishing
Old 01-13-2011, 09:48 AM

I would use a walking foot on your machine.