View Single Post
Old 01-14-2011, 05:44 PM
QuicklyQuilting

I had begun to feel overwhelmed. One of my good friends, (who understands me), came over to help. We sorted my stash into categories, Christmas, autumn, brights, florals, homespuns, flannels, batiks, geometrics, black & whites, red & whites, 30's, halloween. There also is a category that includes fabrics that are solids or "read" as solids. Categorizing seemed to make the process more do-able. The solids are in an armoire that also stores other sewing/quilting/knitting/needlework supplies. Next we evaluated the space that I had planned to make available for fabric storage. I had a son who had moved out of his verrrry small room. We put the bed up on cinder-blocks and created storage for 4 large clear plastic zippered storage bags (Walmart), under the bed. We put a tall shelving unit where the TV stand had been. My TV and CD player live there now along with my serger, and a couple sewing machines that I seldom use, and more fabrics stored in those same wonderful Walmart bags. The rest is stored in large clear plastic drawers in the closet. I don't think that I ever could have done this without the help of my good friend. It took us 2 days. I am going to help her do the same next spring.