View Single Post
Old 01-15-2011, 08:35 AM
kellen46

Originally Posted by BrendaK
:? Hi all need your help. What is it with seam rippers. I want to get a new one. The price I see is from $1.79 to $24.99. What is the difference? Don't they all just rip seams. I know some have mag. on them, some have lights. The ones I am talking about are just regular rippers. The one I have now has a sharp end and the other end has a round ball. Does the ball go between the fabric and the seam? Sounds dumb I know but.....
The ball part goes to the back of the seam you are ripping. It keeps you from slicing through the fabric. You need to add a little tension to the fabric I sort of grip each side and with the ripper in my right hand sort of just touch the thread with the inner razor edge, the tension on the fabric will help pull the threads loose and you can go on readjusting your hands as needed. The sharp point is good for picking out threads on jams or double sewn seams. I use just an inexpensive ripper, as they do get dull and need to be replaced. Here is a tip if you are right handed and know a left handed sewer, when your ripper gets dull, trade and you will have a new sharp edge to use. Same trick works with potato peelers.