Thread: Longarm machine
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2011, 05:11 AM
june6995

There are several ways to make the pattern. I choose the one where I can stand in front of the machine and control the movements of the machine. I believe the best way to describe this, is, that it is hand guided free motion. It is similar to the way you would move your quilt through the opening of you domestic machine...your hands move it in the direction you want to go to create a design that you have 1) drawn on the fabric or 2) created in your head and move the fabric in the direction to create that design.

Using a Bailey or any mid arm machine, the same is accomplished only the quilt is stretched on the frame and you create the movement of the machine over the top of the quilt to create the design.

The other method that some people choose, is to use the pantograph, a design laid out on the frame , then using some pointing device (the Bailey comes with a laser) you follow the design while controlling the machine from the back, stitching the design on to the fabric.

I treed this in the beginning and did not like being behind the machine and not able to see what is stitching on the quilt.
I prefer to do my own type of free motion where I control the movement to create a design that is more random and creative. Maybe I should say it is an original design and non one copied from a stencil or a pantograph.

The Bailey is a simple, no frills machine and does not come with computer assistance. What fun would it be to punch a button and program the machine, then walk away and let the machine do its work. Cost for these machines are pretty high. Bailey is one of the inexpensive ones, created so the average home quilter can do this machine quilting without investing a fortune in equipment.

It is all a matter of choice.

If you have further questions, please feel free to ask.

There are videos available if you wish to search for them.

June in Cincinnati