Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Longarm machine >

Longarm machine

Longarm machine

Old 03-31-2008, 09:48 AM

azam, can give us an idea on how much money it cost?
Old 03-31-2008, 09:53 AM

My husband's down payment on a car! Approxiamately, $8,000.00. But, I was able to get zero % interest for one year, that's helpful.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:48 AM

I purchased a Tin lizzie and like it a lot!! It just seized up on me when I changed top thread and used the connected bobbin thread. It's a very smooth machine if the quilt is elevated off the sewing platform by 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch as the manufacturer suggests. I have installed 10 foot conduit on the frame that comes with the machine so I can sew on a quilt a little over 100 inches. That's all I want to tackle. I have laminate flooring in the room it sits in and just pull one side out a little so I can access the pantograph side easily. I have it on sliders. Any unevenness can be alleviated by using two levels of sliders. I made mine out of a kitchen rug that I bought at KMart which resembles the expensive sliders at the hardware store. Just put two together with double stick carpet tape. You can cut it with scissors. I hope I can resolve this sticking dilemma so I don't have to call a repairman. I have the part that makes the stitches even but it only works as good as you are smooth and steady at driving the machine. Total price was in the 6K prlce range plus tax.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:52 AM

Susan, I would buy the new Phaff quilting machine with extended table. That's a honey of a machine.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:56 AM

I recieved a reply from Singer which basically thanked me for my interst and told me they have no longarm machine in the works. Something about production availability. Sounds like a crock to me.

What do those Pfaffs Run? I guess I can google it.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:58 AM

I have a dumb question. What makes the patterns on the Bailey? Is it in the machine or do you have to draw your own pattern? Would love to be able to do my own quilting but don't want to spend time drawing quilt patterns on tops.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:11 AM

There are several ways to make the pattern. I choose the one where I can stand in front of the machine and control the movements of the machine. I believe the best way to describe this, is, that it is hand guided free motion. It is similar to the way you would move your quilt through the opening of you domestic machine...your hands move it in the direction you want to go to create a design that you have 1) drawn on the fabric or 2) created in your head and move the fabric in the direction to create that design.

Using a Bailey or any mid arm machine, the same is accomplished only the quilt is stretched on the frame and you create the movement of the machine over the top of the quilt to create the design.

The other method that some people choose, is to use the pantograph, a design laid out on the frame , then using some pointing device (the Bailey comes with a laser) you follow the design while controlling the machine from the back, stitching the design on to the fabric.

I treed this in the beginning and did not like being behind the machine and not able to see what is stitching on the quilt.
I prefer to do my own type of free motion where I control the movement to create a design that is more random and creative. Maybe I should say it is an original design and non one copied from a stencil or a pantograph.

The Bailey is a simple, no frills machine and does not come with computer assistance. What fun would it be to punch a button and program the machine, then walk away and let the machine do its work. Cost for these machines are pretty high. Bailey is one of the inexpensive ones, created so the average home quilter can do this machine quilting without investing a fortune in equipment.

It is all a matter of choice.

If you have further questions, please feel free to ask.

There are videos available if you wish to search for them.

June in Cincinnati