Old 01-19-2011, 08:39 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Originally Posted by nycbgirl
I go to a quilt store in Henderson, NV. It never fails everytime I walk in that store I am just looked at. No hello, how are you, can I help you...I don't have 3 eyes, I dress OK. Whats their deal? I still go back to touch their fabric but I don't buy from them too often. I'd rather give my money to a friendlier store.
Wow I am shocked. As there is only one quilt shop in Henderson I know the shop of which you speak. I was vacationing there in December and very well treated and I found the customer service outstanding. However, I am one that likes to browse and really only wants help when I ask for it. But I was greeted when I came in, directed to the Asian prints which I asked for upon entering. When I started piling bolts up, I was brought a cart, I was told about the sale rack with discontinuted fabs, encouraged to check out the class rooms and was treated very nicely. Went back the next day and was also treated very nicely.

I have been most fortunate that I have never ever had a bad experience in a quilt shop (I do not count chain stores in this statement like JoAnnes or generic fabric shops not catering to quilters). I have had a bad experience in a sewing machine shop and did end up buying my Bernina at a dealer that was much further away from me but gave the outward appearance of actually wanting my business, and they are a wonderful QS as well. The first place acted as though I was intruding when I walked in the door, even after it became apparent I was a serious buyer in the market for a specific machine. The other dealer I ended up buying from charged more but the customer service made the difference in my decision.

I do know there are bad apples in the barrel and some places do give a first impression of being haughty. But in the grand scheme of things we should all remember, we get as good as we give. If we give the appearance of being friendly and courteous we often get it right back. If not, maybe a blunt approach is best like asking the clerk if they are having a bad day. Sometimes that works wonders for turning a bad attitude around. Additionally, I think if the customer gives off a vibe of being standoffish or unapproachable chances are they won't be approached unless they ask.