Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you ever been to an unfriendly quilt shop?

Four of us gals drove 2 hrs each way today to go to the largest quilt shop in Florida! 20,000 bolts of fabric and 700 books, etc. etc. Fabric choices were abundant - displayed well - clean shop, but the most unfriendly women working there we couldn't believe it. We didn't know how to react!!!! Next week we are taking our money to a friendly shop!

Yes, yes, yes. But I think I went to the one you went to, a few years ago, and they were very pleasant to my nonquilting Dear sister-in-law who browsed for one and 1/2 hours so I could see it all. (She really is a sweetheart) and me. I'm hoping they were just having a bad day.

Super Member just_the_scraps_m'am's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    most likely overworked & underpaid...have been to shops with unhappy workers...bad day maybe? i always try to give them the benefit of the doubt & chalk it up to "personal problems"...

I have been to some shops that were not very welcoming or pleasant. I try to give my business to those shops that are friendly and pleasant. I only frequent the shops that are NOT nice only if I absolutely have to.

Blog Entries
    The most mean quilt shop person I have ever visited was the big one in Sedona, AZ. I forgot the name. It's been sold since then so the owner that was there when I was I guess is gone too. The employees were trying to be nice but the owner was so hateful and biting everyone's head off all they could do was say yes ma'am and look embarrassed. I didn't buy a thing there. I heard it's a super nice shop now.

I sure have,and it surprised me cause they have a reputation for being friendly.I went to Jo-Ann's at Richmond,Va and picked out my fabric. There were 3 sales-clerks there and 2 cutters.Two of the clerks were talking about a dinner date that they were going out together with their husbands.The third one was ringing up a sale.One of the cutters looked at my stack of fabric and said she was going on a smoke break.The 2nd cutter said it was time for her lunch break and I would have to wait for the clerk to cut for my fabric in between her sales and that I should have come at a better time. I left my fabric and walked out the door.

I know which one you are talking about. I know I am a weirdo because I prefer to be left alone in a quilt shop, so my perception of unfriendly probably doesn't match yours. The staff at that shop does leave me alone but I don't remember anyone being unfriendly. They have lots of fabric - that's all I care about.

And I have also visited the Sedona shop several times and never had a bad experience. It is a great shop.

Sorry you didn't have a wonderful time after all your driving time. You might want to let the owner know that you made such an effort and were disappointed. I'm sure you were really looking forward to the visit.

Quote Originally Posted by sewingladydi
    I have been to some shops that were not very welcoming or pleasant. I try to give my business to those shops that are friendly and pleasant. I only frequent the shops that are NOT nice only if I absolutely have to.
    I have the same thing at a LQS right around the corner from me. And believe me, it wasn't just once, but every time I go in there that they are snooty. I too only go there when I absolutely need to. And in fact, the last time I went in, I wasn't even impressed with the fabric choices they offered so I don't see myself going back again.
    I either shop at Joann's or drive 1/2 hour one way to shop at a really nice, friendly quilt shop.

Absolutely, and I think it's so weird. I've been to shops where the employees are almost quilt "snobs" who seem to size you up the minute you walk through the door. I hope these store owners realize that people rarely spend money where they feel unwelcome or unwanted.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishNY
    And I have also visited the Sedona shop several times and never had a bad experience. It is a great shop.
    It was about six or seven years ago I was at the Sedona store. The DD of the owner was helping me, she whispered apologies for her mother to me, afraid of being overheard. I'd like to go back one day it was a beautiful city.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    .......You might want to let the owner know that you made such an effort and were disappointed. I'm sure you were really looking forward to the visit.
    As a former shop owner I urge you to do this, by letter personally to the owner at the shop. It's possible it has been an issue lately in the shop, and having this information arms her with something tangible she can bring to an employee meeting to discuss it.

I had one employee that I felt might be like this, but I was a bit unable to "prove" it as she happened to work the day I was not in the shop. With a bit of a scheduling adjustment we changed that and she was encouraged to rethink her employment with us if she was unhappy. It saved us an unpleasant loss of customers, saved having a disgruntled employee, saved a friendship with that employee and made everyone happy all around when she elected to stay home and sew.

The owner can't fix what she doesn't know about.

Jan in VA

Umm yes I got that treatment at a store in Lewisville after a 45 minute trip to get there and then not get any help.

I wouldnt have been so mad except for a few regulars walked in and the employees tripped over each other to great them where nothing was said to either mom or myself and we had been there an hour.

I bought my sale items and left and hit the other LQS to spend the rest of my money!

was it in S FT Myers they have made me upset several times they widper behind their hands and point

Are we talking about the Rainbow's End? My first visit there was my first time in a quilt shop ever! I was so excited and I talked to the lady at the front dest who wouldn't even look at me or acknowledge me in any way. I had a great time by myself as the shop is fabulous but when I got home I wrote a letter to the owner about her customer service! I work in customer service and if I treated a customer like that I would be fired! I go there occasionally as I live in St. Pete but I'll never forget that first impression!

Blog Entries
    wow, sounds like our joannes. i'll stick with the small friendly shops...i avoid the big ones as much as possible along with being very rude half the employees seem to be there because it's a job, they have no knowledge of any craft.
    sorry you had to drive so far to find out; hope you at least found a few deals to make it worth the trip

I know I am a weirdo because I prefer to be left alone in a quilt shop, so my perception of unfriendly probably doesn't match yours.
    I thought I was a weirdo because I liked help with picking out fabrics.

My quilting buddy and I were just discussing yesterday a local shop where we originally thought that the staff didn't seem friendly or even willing to help. Since that first visit I went in looking for a Bali Pop and when they didn't carry them, one of the ladies helped me to pick out 20 different batiks and did a super job at it. I now think that the shop ladies just wait to be asked so that they don't "bother" shoppers who prefer to be left alone.

Perhaps that is the case at the shop in Florida.

I guess I've been pretty lucky, I've never gone into a quilt shop and had a bad experience. I shop mostly at the one that's only a mile from my house. Everytime I walk in the gal remembers my name. Since I can't remember anyone's name, I'm always impressed!

If you are talking about a shop on the East coast about 1/2 way down the state I was there. (Rockledge)
    No one was unfriendly but I was left alone to do my thing which was fine with me. The shop was so busy and had so much fabric I was a tad overwhelmed. I enjoyed my visit and will go again when I hope it won't be so busy. They had three longarms all going in the back operated by computer that were fascinating for me to watch. The shop was crowded and the cash register was going all the time. I guess they have to make their money for the year between Oct and March when the crowds are in the area. It surprised me as most fabrics were in the $9-$11 range. there was nothing in the sale area I wanted.
    I did find fabric I would have liked but it was out of my price range. Luckily I found it on line for about 2/3 the price including shipping.
    If I get in that area again I will stop in and gawk some more!

I've been in at least 20 different quilt stores so far. Out of that many there's one I'll never shop in again. I'd say unfriendly is out of the ordinary.

Thanks for the feedback. I will write to the owner. We didn't need any help with fabric, but no one asked us anyway. We asked about getting into the restroom and were told we had to find "staff" to get the key! In the restroom a sign is posted to the affect that due to a high rate of shop lifting you need a key to get in the restroom!! We had just traveled two hours so that was the start in the shop! The lady cutting our fabric NEVER looked at us - NEVER greeted us - NEVER said "thank you" - one of my friends started to put her bolts on the cutting table and the lady cutting just absolutely bit her head off NOT to put her bolts up there! NO greeting or thank you when paying! None of the clerks smiled or were friendly. We all spent under $50 each and we would have spent up to $200 each for 3 of us as we found lots we loved and have big projects coming up, but just did not like the atmosphere. I didn't know if I could mention the store - yes, it was Rainbows End. We were all excited to visit the store - we feel like our balloons were popped! We will check out 3 other shops we haven't been to and will definitely go back to the Quilt Shop in DeLand FL.

Banned
    My big pet peeve is not being greeted. By name makes me feel appreciated but a cheerful "Hi" or "Good M/A" works too. But I have been scowled at in a certain store--more than once and by more than one employee. As the shop is cramped and dark, I don't feel I'm missing out by not going there.

I also only shop at my local Joann's on Mon Tues or Wed as there's one clerk who is friendly and I'll let others go in front of me just so I can go thru her line.

I shop at Rainbow's End ALL the time(whenever I go to visit my DM, she lives just a few blocks from the shop) and I can personally say that I've NEVER had a BAD experience there. I recommend it to everyone I know. I'm sorry you and your friends had such an awful experience. Won't you please give them another chance. It must have been a bad day for all the employees. I don't know the help personally, but they've all been pleasant to me and ask what project I'm working on now. They ask me to bring my quilts in and show them when I'm done. I ALWAYS enjoy going there and can't wait to visit my DM so that we can spend the afternoon at this shop and feel and look at the fabric.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I made the silly mistake of visiting a quilt shop during the clerks lunch time. She started out friendly but tried to get me to buy somethingI didnt want and was very rude answering my questions. Her attitude was hurry and get out of here. Found out why later. her lunch was getting cold.
    I called the store owner and she took care of problem.

One shop I go to the owner is very friendly,but her dd that works there could use some lessons,always has a schowl on her face and her answers are short.Maybe she doesn;t like working for mom

We have one in our area and the more people I talk to the more I have heard that I am not the only one that the owners have been "testy" to. Walk in and hear "what do you want" and it is like excuse me? i am here to spend my money and this is what you say to me? twice this has happened to me so there will be no going back for me, once OK try again it was a fluke, twice NOPE you people have a problem. Both times I have spent money and felt bad for doing so. So no more..

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast