Old 01-21-2011, 01:14 AM
Gerbie

I only have one Quilt shop that I frequent, because there are no others around - this one is 85 miles away - one way. But then that shop one WalMart and Hobby Lobby are the only places in that town that sell fabric. These are the nearest places for fabric or any other sewing supplies for me. The QS has a friendly staff and when I go in, there is usually someone near the front of the store and always speak, then let you do your thing. If I am wandering around someone always comes up and offers help the staff is always willing to help, if I need help I just have to ask. I've never really had a bad experience with them.
But just like someone posted earlier - it is a two way street, any employee in any type of store can have a bad day just like the rest of us, and it does show to the public at times. However if I am in a business and I'm treated rude, more than once, I Don't go back. But then that's just me.
I'm a retired 1st grade teacher. I always tried to not let my bad feelings show in my class room, because the kidos could always pick up on it. I set rules and expectations at the beginning of the year, and followed through. I made an effort to teach my students to be polite and have manners with each other and to always treat others like they wanted to be treated. I set the example with good manners to my students and insisted that they do the same. When some slacked off on this I didn't have to remind them the rest of the class did.
I recently received one of the best compliments from an ex student. I did not remember her after about 20 yrs, but she remembered me and informed me that she and friends in the class thought at the time that I was really just mean and strict, but as they grew up they realized just how much they actually learned in life lessons in that class, not just academics and how it had affected them all through school and into their adult lives. She said they often thought about their First Grade. It seems that they had discussed teachers not too long before my meeting her. I think this was the best compliment anyone could have. Sure made me stand a little taller and pat myself on the back.
So we all need to really treat others like we want to be treated. Sometimes when we go into a store we may have an attitude and not realize it that rubs off on those waiting on us. Also the time of the day may make a big difference too. Everyone is usually tired at the end of the day and ready to go home and rest.
Sorry so long but just my opinions