View Single Post
Old 02-09-2011, 01:01 PM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bigsister63
I know that this topic has been discussed before with about the same responses. I am amazed at the attitude of so many people about only giving quilts to those that will appreciate them. how does one show appreciation? I want to say "shame on you". You all are not giving gifts in the correct spirit of giving. You should be giving quilts or other gifts because you want to share yourself with the receipant and not because you want a trophy. Gifts should have no strings attached or instruction on how to be used.You all sound like the kid who brought their jacks to the playground and then said " If you do not let me win then I am going to take my jacks and go home" As far as the hours spent ibn making quilts or any other handmade project - I figure my time is free since the how else would I be spending my time- Cleaning- I would rather be quilting!

I make no qualms about it! It makes no difference to me if I gifted a quilt I worked on for hours or a store bought item. If the recipient tosses aside my offering like so much offending trash I will be pissed and never give a gift to that person again. so I guess i don't gift with the proper attitude either. And you know what, when i was a kid and brought my toys to the playground, if the other kids did not play FAIR or tried to break my toys on purpose I did gather them up and go home and never sought out those kids to play with again. No I did not have to win, but I am not going to play with a cheater or a sore loser either.

At the very least, I expect common courtesy and a little manners in return. If i don't get it I don't take back the gift but I don't put myself in the same situation again, that person will never get another gift from me. Jesus may have said turn the other cheek but I am not Jesus and I am not so forgiving.

Giving to charity is different. You often don't know where the gift ends up just that you hope it ends up with someone that really needs it. On the rare occassion we are blessed with contact from a recipient or maybe get to see a video of the quilts being given out.