Old 03-06-2011, 08:25 AM
GailG

The first machine I sewed on was a Blue Grass. It was an old electric machine that my mother purchased through their family's general merchandise (an old fashioned country store that sold EVERYTHING). When I was 11 or 12, it began to give her trouble and in a state of "emergency" while she was making dancing costumes for our recital, she called the local sewing machine company and told them of her problem --it was summer, the house was not air conditioned, and she was 7 months pregnant. She asked them if they could deliver a good machine. The machine was delivered by his son who took over the business years later. He still services our machines, even though he is now retired. Anyway, the new machine was a Singer 301. When I married, I purchased the Singer 404. Both of these machines are still in good condition. I now own a Janome (and I also own a White and a New Home school machine.)

I learned to sew on a treadle in home economics class (WE had to master the treadle before we could graduate to the electric machines -- that was in 1954). My DG gifted me with a treadle machine which isn't in running condition, but with a little work probably would be very nice.