Old 03-09-2011, 12:23 PM
noveltyjunkie

Originally Posted by Eddie
After a LOT of thinking, playing with numbers in my spreadsheet, etc., I e-mailed her a proposal this morning which was $650.74, and included the cost of materials at $246.68, so my labor would have been $404.06. She decided she didn't want to spend that much for a quilt for a guest bedroom, so now we are looking at a much simpler pattern (no applique) and I sent her an estimate for that one and she agreed with it. So we're going to look at fabrics together on Friday. In a way, I'm relieved because I really wasn't looking forward to doing all of that applique again!
This sounds like a good outcome. She said she wanted it, but she didn't realise the work that would go into it, so now she is choosing something else- perfect!

I would have priced it as other professionals price their work- with an itemised quote. Then if she didn't like the price she could look at it and say "could you do it with fewer leaves to save labour costs" or whatever. The danger with this is that you end up a design that you might not be too thrilled about, but then again if she is commissioning it, she does get to decide, within reason.

To the people who said to price it low as a way to get business- we could all be working 24/7 if we worked for nothing!