Thread: Singer machines
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2011, 09:28 AM
thepolyparrot

Originally Posted by nett2
Are there other old singers that sew as well as the 221 featherweight?
Almost any vintage or antique sewing machine sews as well or better than the FW. :) Honestly, I do plan to add a FW to my collection someday, but I think they're very overrated in terms of ability.

I don't particularly like my 301 - I just never have taken to it the way I have to others, but it's a good strong machine and will handle a much larger range of sewing tasks than the FW.

My 15's are my jewels - piecing and quilting and garment construction. But, I also love my old 66 from 1905 - it will sew through anything. So will the 27 or 28 from the late 1800's or the 201's from the 1940's. All of them straight-stitch only machines.

I have a gaggle of slant-needle zig-zag Singers that are almost as powerful and hugely versatile, especially for garment construction.

So it's not just the FW's that a sewist would want to add to their "herd," although those are (arguably?) the CUTEST machines in existence. ;)

I would never choose this machine as my primary or only machine, though. (Not even if it was candy apple red with antique gold fire truck decals! ;) )