View Single Post
Old 03-16-2011, 05:53 PM
LaineyBelle

I love to work out in the garden without gloves too, but I found out - the hard way - that you really should wear gloves when you work in the garden. I got my Garden Gate gardening magazine last month and in there they warned about working in the garden without gloves. You could get rose gardeners disease. I thought it was a joke, but its not, it caused by a soil borne fungus, Sporothrix schenckii.
The fungus can enter your bloodstream thru nicks and cuts. Most of the time it just causes skin infections, but it can ccause lung problems. It can be hard to diagnose, it can take 3 weeks or longer to appear. It is small, painless, pink or purple bumps shpw up on your skin, followed by larger bumps tht resemble boils, and they are slow to heal. If you get it, you need to go to the doctor to get a perscription medication to get rid of it.
Needless to say, I wear gloves when I work in the garden. I had over 120 rose bushes that needed to get pruned, only 15 got pruned. I will have to do them at the end of the first blooming season. I won't have to prune as much.