Thread: Stocking Up
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2011, 09:35 PM
Ms Elaine Va

Originally Posted by Aurora
Originally Posted by Ms Elaine Va
I have had to throw away some canned food because the cans were ready to burst. Expired years ago. With just 2 people I try to use things up but there's only so much you can use. I do have 2 small freezers and I want to plant a garden this summer because produce is so expensive. If it costs $200 to have a 200' X 200' garden plowed up (can't do with tiller due to health issues) is it worth it?? We have tried planting tomatoes in the special garden containers but not much luck.

I am trying to buy only American made for 30 days - try it -amazing!!
Start small, add a little at a time. Check into no-till gardening. There are alternative forms of gardening available. Check on line. There is something called Lasagna Gardening. Don't start too big, you will wear yourself out and get discouraged. You should enjoy it as well as being productive. The garden I am starting this year will use concrete blocks to build a raised garden so I can sit on the edge to weed and plant. I am 64 single and unable to work on my knees (thanks to a 17 year old driver who decided I was in his way in a crosswalk), but I have gardened all my life and will continue to do so. This year I will take my time and build a little each day. The point is to start by finding a method that works for you and add to it.
Before long you will have a 200 x 200 ft. garden.
Great idea. I have had 4 back surgeries so bending is not a good idea for me either. Do you have a problem with deer? We have a herd of about 30 since a mall was built near us. The deer go to the river at night and eat hostas and plants on their way. I like to see the deer but they can do alot of damage.