View Single Post
Old 04-12-2011, 02:06 PM
PKITTY1

Originally Posted by miholmes
I approach a quilt the same way I decorate my house. I want someone to come in and feel comfortable. Don't ask me if you should take your shoes off (you're not going to hurt the hardwood floor)Don't wonder if it's okay to sit down on the furniture in the living room, that's what it's there for. :)

If I give you a quilt, I want you to curl up on the sofa watching a movie and spill popcorn on it, accidentally drip ice cream on it. Use it to make a fort with the sofa cushions. Curl up with it when you're sick. Use it on your bed and let your dogs sleep with you.

Whether the quilt is LQS fabric, Joann's, Hancock, old shirts from your father, or old jeans. :)

I would be delighted to see a quilt I gave someone 50 years later and it's completely worn out. (I know some of you are gasping right now :P )

Many of the quilts I have packed away have seen better days. Ripped, worn, and can no longer be used. But each one of them floods me with wonderful childhood memories, and that is the thing that makes them priceless to me.

Now I plan on taking them cutting them up and working them into a new quilt with new fabrics as well. Allowing me to remember the past, but also make future memories with them. :)

I know I've gotten a little off topic, but my point being I want a quilt people will use and is comfy. So many of the new quilts that are more like works of art just isn't something I would make. And while I completely RESPECT all the work and creativity that goes into making one, some of them are just too beautiful to curl up with and use.

It's a lot like music, I love ALL types except opera and rap. Not that I don't respect both, but it's not my cup of tea....or I should say diet pepsi :P
Well said